Mountain biking vs. road biking - physiological differences etc.

Rovunhex

Retro Newbie
What are the physiological differences between mostly riding a road bike vs. mostly riding a mountain bike? What is your perceived difference in the group demeanor between mountain bike groups vs. road bike groups?
Do you ride both mountain bikes and road bikes. What is your % split between the two?

One group shave their legs, are easily identified by overtight lycra, never tend to wave a greeting and don't stop wanging on about "segments" and having their PB stolen. The other group are mountain bikers.

Seriously though, its a divisive question. Two very different disciplines and tribes when the basic premise of both activities is the same - leg-power converted to wheeled motion with a by product of adrenaline, enjoyment and more often than not, cake.

I ride on and off road, and enjoy both - for very different reasons.

Haven't seen a thread locked in a while, but this one's an early contender.

What are the physiological differences between mostly riding a road bike vs. mostly riding a mountain bike? What is your perceived difference in the group demeanor between mountain bike groups vs. road bike groups?
Do you ride both mountain bikes and road bikes. What is your % split between the two?

If you're dedicating this much thought towards either.. you're doing them wrong :cool:

Haven't seen a thread locked in a while, but this one's an early contender.
one of mine was lacked earlier in the week. In the off topic section. Back to the subject road riding to me is just boring. Watching road racing is worse that watching paint dry. MTBing is way more fun. Going uphill is far more demanding.Watching mtb racing is starting to get boring as the tracks look more like BMX circuits. BITD they where full on forest trails.

one of mine was lacked earlier in the week. In the off topic section. Back to the subject road riding to me is just boring. Watching road racing is worse that watching paint dry. MTBing is way more fun. Going uphill is far more demanding.Watching mtb racing is starting to get boring as the tracks look more like BMX circuits. BITD they where full on forest trails.
Wasn't your fault it was locked mate, George Orwell rocks :p Your critique above is a little harsh :) That said more fun to ride than watch.

It's ok everyone I'm here and I'll clear this up in a second.
Mountain biking, mountain bikes and mountain bikers are cool, road cyclists are not. There you go, easy.
You're welcome.

Back