More moderation please!

FluffyChicken":1iubf8o7 said:
Raging_Bulls":1iubf8o7 said:
JeRkY":1iubf8o7 said:
An important thing to consider is the moderators own protection from accusations. I have seen forums where a moderator was deleting adverts of cheap stuff for sale that they wanted to bag themselves. Clarity is key, all sort of suspicions can rise if a mod is seen to be completely deleting adverts. It is a tough call and I can certainly see the downside of just locking a thread, but at least it is transparent to everyone else.

That's why I prefer to lock the advert, with a message telling the poster to come up with a price. Actually I usually give the seller 24h to add a price before I lock the topic.
Only if the seller withdraws the ad or removes the content and asks for the topic to be deleted, I will consider it (depending on replies etc).

That being said, I don't often visit the Sales sections anymore because those visits always end up costing me lots of money. :facepalm:

Just locking also allows me and other posters to have a nice eBay style bidding war over the items in a PM.
It much easier to use that method and cheaper than eBay, it also gets more notice than the whats it worth thread used for similar reasons.
Its a nice way to gauge a price on things ;-)
I agree with you on that, also they leave a phone number as a result between pm's and/or phone calls the sale still goes ahead behind the scenes so its like two fingers to the rules.

My 2p -

I think RB is almost self-policing especially in the sales. Some people do not comply with the rules and they get politely advised to modfiy their ads. I have seen the other sites mentioned - threads locked, deleted etc and sometimes for an reason like 'no photographs'. Buyers have to take some responsibility for purchases too, lack of PP protection or not asking to see the item they are buying - pure madness!

I did notice a thread on CTC recently where a new member was selling loads of stuff and obviously did not sell anything - just took the money - they have no feedback. The buyers should be sure what they are doing and Mods should not have to get involved unless a fraud is noted. On CTC the Mods took abuse for not noticing the sales - i thought this was grossly unfair.

I think members should take some responsibility for their actions and the Mods can assist where required.

Hope you are all having a good weekend, not so much fun working nights on a Saturday!

Richard

Back