1999 ex-GB team Concorde - anyone help fill in it's history?

DrAStav

Retro Newbie
Hey all.

My ride is a 1999 ex BCF team issue Concorde which was involved in the World Class Performance Plan (WCPP). I bought the frame in 2000. Everything else had to be replaced but I'll tell you what I know.

I bought the frame from the Manchester Velodrome bike sale in the February of 2000, as a skint student - £100 for an ex team issue bike, in lightweight Alu? Bargin! The frame was completely stripped at the time. Over the next year, I budget bought various parts (mainly Ultegra 6500) and cannibalised my old ride to build it up to a semi decent ride. Since then, it's had cash thrown at it ever so often and has been my main "fast ride". The pic I've added is from it's May 2014 condition (post Fred Whitton) hence Quattro wheels and a few other more recent purchases. For me, this bike is superb. The ride response hits the button for my build and riding style, and even though it's now coming up 16 years old, I'm loathed to upgrade. I was taken out on this bike on the Surrey 100 a few weeks ago and crashed bad, so it looks like it'll be jumping from Ultegra 6500 9sp to Ultegra 6800 11sp some time soonish (frame fine, shifters written off, and I bruised a kidney).

Now it's history.

From what I know, the BCF/WCPP commissioned Concorde frames for the whole squad, with these bikes being full Dura-Ace spec of the day. There are mention of them in this interview (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/tour_d ... 384107.stm. They were mainly raced on the domestic scene and the lower league pro races in Europe. The frames aren't actual Concorde frames. From what I understand it was built in Italy as these Concordes were re-badged Ciocc, with other frame builders contributing. The frames were built in Italy, but the painted in Holland or Belgium for branding, then supplied to the WCPP (there is a little info here: http://www.cykelhobby.com/concorde1.htm) The frames were built with all straight tube profiles, standard 27mm seatpin, head tube for either threaded or 1 inch threadless and down tube bosses for either levers or STI's (remember the late 90's weight-weenie style of front mech off a town tube?). The ride is fairly hard from the all alu construction, the carbon fork (not oringinal) tames the front but maintains the bikes very sharp ride characteristics. I've seen names like Billato and the Bonatii brothers linked to Concorde but can't figure where they would fit in with the late 90's aluminium scene. I'm guessing that being the WPCC, they may not have been off-peg but built for the rider. The frame was light for the day (I've had various builds since 2000 so can't remember the actual frame weight).

My frame in particular has the name "James" on the toptube. As 1999 was the dawn of the internet, I haven't tracked down any details of team rosters for that year, so I can't tell what happened to Mr James (neo-pro that never made it full pro? Mark up frame for a Mr James as a sweetener for sponsorship money? Backroom staff issue?). As other names from the era have passed through, I don't recall a James hitting it big.

I've Google searched various terms to see if I can find out anything more about these frames, but mainly drawn a blank - they aren't the steel PDM Concorde's of folk law or racked with historic wins so kind of slipped under the radar. The following year the WCPP swapped to Trek before a few years later swapping to Pinarello's so there isn't the whole gamut of team replicas floating around or cult pull. There is another frame on Flickr which was bought in the same way (same day!), I saw one pass through eBay may be a year ago, and theres a random link to one being sold in Turkey earlier this year (if you trust Google translate). Historically, these frames are from the era that kicked off our current seasoned pro's. If it hadn't have been for the WCPP and Peter Keen starting the development of young talent at the end of the 1990's, the likes of Wiggo and Co wouldn't have had the opportunities that lead towards Brailsfords reign in the late 2000's.

I've put 1,000s of km's into this frame over the last 15 years and it's now showing it's wear a little, mainly the paint is going while most other parts have had some degree of servicing. I'm hoping to free up money this winter for a possible respray and refurb (replace crash damaged parts, bring a few bit more up to date, maybe a carbon seat post to dampen the aggressive ride qualities from my family joules) but this is my prime bike so won't be authentic retro.

If anyone can fill in some of the history of the frame, such as who built it and where, find out who James was, has a similar stead or any info, I'd be most grateful!

Attachments

• IMAG3660-small.jpg
    IMAG3660-small.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 1,730
  • IMAG1676-small.jpg
    IMAG1676-small.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,725
  • IMAG1683-mini.jpg
    IMAG1683-mini.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,725
Re:

Could James be Jamie Burrow or had he already joined postal by then? looks about his size... edit, postal was 2000 so possible.

Re:

Thanks for the suggestion. That's a name I haven't seen for a long time. I've had a quick Googlewhack to see if there is any link.

He did have the garish GB team strip at one point which matched these bikes (http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/in ... u-thor.jpg) although he appears to be on a different frame. Had it been Jamie's, wouldn't it be marked Burrow rather than James? Or did/do different teams have different ways of ID'ing bikes?

Jamie is certainly a good suggestion, if not, it will have been one of his contemporaries. Trying to find a roster listing for that year is a little harder to try and cross reference names.

In a 2014 way of finding out 1999 info, I tweeted him the pick to see if it causes a response.

Thanks.

According to Richard Moore's book on Dave Brailsford, it was he who managed to source the Concorde bikes after being turned down by all of the mainstream bike brands who didn't want to be associated with Great Britain at the time.

Regarding the owner, James Gilfillan was an U23 rider for the WCPP at the time so it could have been his perhaps? Also, have a look into who was riding for the track squad at that time as they would also have had road bikes to train on (James Taylor?)

Re:

Thanks for the info.

I had a tweet back from Jamie Burrow - it's not his. He did suggest that maybe James Griffiths, who would have been in the frame around that time as a possible lead. James Griffiths is currently cycling across the Himalayas at the moment for charity - raising money for Spinal Injury. His Twitter name is @Giffer, so please show him your support.

From a quick Google search, it appears that most of the Gilfillan family were on two wheels at some point, with James being accredited to the WCPP. I'll see what I can find.

The U23 side is possibly more likely, as a lot of the senior riders in the GB strip from that year were already on trade teams. Lillywhite, Newton and so on are often seen sporting a GB strip, but trade team issue bike.

The track team training bikes to would be a good lead too. I've seen a ex-track Concorde in searching, showing that there was the track version to accompany the road spec frame. Is there any way of searching British Cycling/BCF archives to see who were on their books around that time?

As a final note, wouldn't the rider be MR/Mrs/Ms James rather than James Bloggs?

DrAStav":3ksjukcq said:
Hey all.

My ride is a 1999 ex BCF team issue Concorde which was involved in the World Class Performance Plan (WCPP). I bought the frame in 2000. Everything else had to be replaced but I'll tell you what I know.

I bought the frame from the Manchester Velodrome bike sale in the February of 2000, as a skint student - £100 for an ex team issue bike, in lightweight Alu? Bargin! The frame was completely stripped at the time. Over the next year, I budget bought various parts (mainly Ultegra 6500) and cannibalised my old ride to build it up to a semi decent ride. Since then, it's had cash thrown at it ever so often and has been my main "fast ride". The pic I've added is from it's May 2014 condition (post Fred Whitton) hence Quattro wheels and a few other more recent purchases. For me, this bike is superb. The ride response hits the button for my build and riding style, and even though it's now coming up 16 years old, I'm loathed to upgrade. I was taken out on this bike on the Surrey 100 a few weeks ago and crashed bad, so it looks like it'll be jumping from Ultegra 6500 9sp to Ultegra 6800 11sp some time soonish (frame fine, shifters written off, and I bruised a kidney).

Now it's history.

From what I know, the BCF/WCPP commissioned Concorde frames for the whole squad, with these bikes being full Dura-Ace spec of the day. There are mention of them in this interview (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/tour_d ... 384107.stm. They were mainly raced on the domestic scene and the lower league pro races in Europe. The frames aren't actual Concorde frames. From what I understand it was built in Italy as these Concordes were re-badged Ciocc, with other frame builders contributing. The frames were built in Italy, but the painted in Holland or Belgium for branding, then supplied to the WCPP (there is a little info here: http://www.cykelhobby.com/concorde1.htm) The frames were built with all straight tube profiles, standard 27mm seatpin, head tube for either threaded or 1 inch threadless and down tube bosses for either levers or STI's (remember the late 90's weight-weenie style of front mech off a town tube?). The ride is fairly hard from the all alu construction, the carbon fork (not oringinal) tames the front but maintains the bikes very sharp ride characteristics. I've seen names like Billato and the Bonatii brothers linked to Concorde but can't figure where they would fit in with the late 90's aluminium scene. I'm guessing that being the WPCC, they may not have been off-peg but built for the rider. The frame was light for the day (I've had various builds since 2000 so can't remember the actual frame weight).

My frame in particular has the name "James" on the toptube. As 1999 was the dawn of the internet, I haven't tracked down any details of team rosters for that year, so I can't tell what happened to Mr James (neo-pro that never made it full pro? Mark up frame for a Mr James as a sweetener for sponsorship money? Backroom staff issue?). As other names from the era have passed through, I don't recall a James hitting it big.

I've Google searched various terms to see if I can find out anything more about these frames, but mainly drawn a blank - they aren't the steel PDM Concorde's of folk law or racked with historic wins so kind of slipped under the radar. The following year the WCPP swapped to Trek before a few years later swapping to Pinarello's so there isn't the whole gamut of team replicas floating around or cult pull. There is another frame on Flickr which was bought in the same way (same day!), I saw one pass through eBay may be a year ago, and theres a random link to one being sold in Turkey earlier this year (if you trust Google translate). Historically, these frames are from the era that kicked off our current seasoned pro's. If it hadn't have been for the WCPP and Peter Keen starting the development of young talent at the end of the 1990's, the likes of Wiggo and Co wouldn't have had the opportunities that lead towards Brailsfords reign in the late 2000's.

I've put 1,000s of km's into this frame over the last 15 years and it's now showing it's wear a little, mainly the paint is going while most other parts have had some degree of servicing. I'm hoping to free up money this winter for a possible respray and refurb (replace crash damaged parts, bring a few bit more up to date, maybe a carbon seat post to dampen the aggressive ride qualities from my family joules) but this is my prime bike so won't be authentic retro.

If anyone can fill in some of the history of the frame, such as who built it and where, find out who James was, has a similar stead or any info, I'd be most grateful!

Hey friend,

I am the one who tried to sold that bike in Turkey :) I still have this frame, because its size is 63 cm and it's too large for the people in here. I am 190 cm tall and it's a little big even for me.

I bought the frame from and old national cyclist. He said, he bought this frame for his collection, but he had to sold it for he needed money. I've bought it for a very good price.

I've put a 1" carbon fork, a Shimano 600 seatpost, Campagnolo Khamsin rims and Shimano 5700 groupset on it. I've rode about 8000 km. and compete in a duathlon race. Always tried to keep it clean and it's still looks like new.

I've found your message while i'm Googling for information about the bike and wanted to say something :) There is another one of this frame in Turkey, except mine, but he didn't built the bike yet. If he does, I'll let you know :)

This is my Concorde here :

2YqMjEe.jpg

Brilliant! Thanks for replying to this. I had seen the Turkish ad quite a long time ago, and I think I'd seen either this or a similar sized frame come up for sale before. I remember it being around the 60+ cm size as that's quite a large size. I'm 1.78m and ride a Concorde with a 54cm top tube - I prefer a shorter top for some reason.

I think I've put about the same number of Km's into mine as you have, but the UK weather hasn't been as kind - my paint work isn't is as good a condition. I still love the ride feel of my frame and fear they day I have to replace it.

Do you know any further on the back story? Would you frame have been one of the batch sold off from Manchester velodrome in 2000 and worked it's way around Europe? As the previous buyer thought it was collectable, what made him think that?

Enjoy your ride!

Back