Modern Tyres on a Retro Bike

dbmtb":3fkj5pre said:
Schwalbe Nobby Nic are an OK wire tyre TBH.

Or Halo Choir Master if you want skinwalls at an OK price.
As per my earlier post, very subjective depending on style and local trail conditions, but I found nobby nics to be horrendous! Washed out without warning, limited grip and spent the whole time trying to kill me. I'm bad enough on a bike without further complications! :LOL:

Re:

Another vote for panaracer fire xc pro Kevlar here.

At the moment have one on the front of my kona Kilauea and cotic soul and they just have loads of grip and roll fairly well. The nobby nic on the back of the cotic is a big let down but others rave about them.

Re:

Just be aware some of the modern tyres can be high volume and so quite wide and with aggressive tread patterns might not fit too well in some old frames which can be quite narrow

Re:

I run spesh Ground controls tubeless with no probs on the Kona 2.1 and there's no clearance problems , great tyres imo , slightly fatter on the Soul at 2.3 and I'm trying a Purgatory atm on the front to see if it's makes a difference in the slop .

The Rift Zone will be fine with tyre clearance with modern tyres.
Second vote for Maxxis Minions here.....great grip, maybe a touch on the chunky side. Consider Maxxis High Rollers and Ignitors as well; both really good trail centre tyres and not expensive for the wire bead versions.

Back