97 Marin Riftzone, Project 2000 Spec. FINISHED!

doctorstewie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Ello all,
Last October I managed to find a suitably cheap ( nearly free, to be frank: 50 quid ) 97 Rift Zone on Ebay and I was a very happy bunny (hopper) indeed.
It was a long way from it's original componentry - pretty much all that remained were the frame, shock, fork and seatpost. And bits of the headset. I'm having that exorcised.
Not all the changes were good ones. ( horrible, horrible Dawes branded unsealed hubs for a start...)
The plan was to ride it and keep doing so while returning it to either:
It's original 97 Factory Spec or;
The spec I had changed it to by the time I parted with it in 2000.

Looks like It's going to be 2000 spec :)
Today I picked up a shockless RZ from ebay, also at 50 quid with very near original spec components on it.
Just the other day a very nice Girder stem arrived from Minifreak and there is an Answer bar on it's way too. ( thanks Gruff )
Here it is:
PICT0216_zpsru6qge5b.jpg

PICT0217_zps4g49sq8p.jpg

PICT0218_zps41klpdnh.jpg

PICT0221_zpsloz7o09c.jpg

Here's the current spec:
Frame:15.5 Marin Full Sus, double butted 6061 Alu

Fork: Manitou Mach 5 Pro C ( Damping cartridge )

Headset:Dia Tech. ( Why...WHYYYY?)
Stem:Kona with rusty bolts.
Handlebar: Titec Hellbent
Grips:WTB
Barends:None

Brakes:Shimano Deore V brakes
Brake Pads:Clarke
Brake Cables:No clue
Cantilever cable hangers:Nope
Brake Levers:Shimano Deore combined STI 9 Sp.

Shifters:Shimano Deore 9 sp
Front Derailleur:Stx ( Original! It works too )
Rear Derailleur:C 2001 or thereabouts LX
Derailleur Cables:Not a clue. But the inners are red.
Cassette:Shimano 9 sp, I can't be bothered to count the teeth.
Chain:Um...Black.
Cranks:Truvativ. Bloody ugly they are too.
Crank Bolts:Rusty
Chainrings:Rusty and bent. Chainsuck O'Matic by Truvativ.
Chainring bolts:Rusty
Bottom Bracket:Yep, there's one there.
Pedals:Shimano white SPDs - not retro but I can't pedal on flats, I keep thinking I'll fall off, and I haven't got hold of any 636s yet.

Hub Skewers:Um...Grey. Ish.
Rims:Rigida Sphinx ( Nope, nor me )
Hubs:Dawes Soakomatic self flooding H2O and Salt absorbers.
Nipples: It has some, yes.
Spokes: Shiny straight gauge
Tyres: It now has a set of Splashbacks but came with a pair of Conti Traffics which were as much use as a politician on a polygraph.
Tubes: Black and rubbery.

Saddle:Specialized..er..thing. Surprisingly nice actually.
Seatpost:Marin 30.0. Apparently hardly anyone does 30 mm posts. Oh good.

Seatpost Binder:Um...Taiwanese and grey. Ish.

Here's the donor bike:
PICT0223_zpsb0psnfqt.jpg

Chainset:
PICT0224_zpsmfk7tqts.jpg

Rear Mech
PICT0225_zpskglyqbzd.jpg

Avid brakes:
PICT0225_zpskglyqbzd.jpg

Levers/shifters ( on an Orange bar! )
PICT0230_zps0ngt1rgg.jpg

Front hub and rim
PICT0234_zpsc4wtb5zo.jpg

PICT0235_zpsxvgdf43f.jpg

And...er the rear rim. The previous owner's dad did this while trying to fit the tyre. I don't think he used the correct, tools, but I could be wrong:
PICT0236_zpsry0giisj.jpg

It's a Mavic X 1

Here's what's going back on:
White industries Chainset ( Sugino, but branded White )
Front wheel : STX RC on WTB rim

Rear Wheel: LX on ( if I can find one a WTB rim)
Tyres : I'll swap the new Splashbacks on to it.
brakes and levers.
New Girder stem - I will be repainting this so pics when that gets done.
Answer DH bar.

I am undecided which fork to use: the one already on it has been stripped and serviced by me, I shall do the same to the "new" one and see which is best, if either.

I am undecided whether to keep it 9 speed and put on new shifters or go full period and keep it 8 at the back.
I will probably keep the more recent rear mech as it's still period ( just ) but is in better condition than the original 97LX on the donor.

So, anyone got any WTB rims? ( I've never swapped rims over so I'll practive on one of the Sphinxes from the Rustomatic wheels )

Lots of stripping, checking, rebuilding etc. I can't wait :D

Oh and check the Crud Catcher installation:
PICT0228_zpsdhmog4kg.jpg

Elegant. :shock: ( He's wrapped the bands around the front mech cable... :facepalm: )

Anyone got any thoughts/advice/mockery? ( And thanks for reading so far )

BTW, I've ridden this bike at BPW, Afan and over bits of Macclesfield Forest.
It bloody rocks. :LOL: :LOL:

Re: 97 Marin Riftzone, Project 2000 Spec.

I'll be sprucing up all the scruffy bits too: I have an Airbrush and I am unafraid to use it.
And of course I now have a spare swingarm: useful with the 97 models I understand.

Re:

Think I might have a WTB rim on a wheel I was just about to take up the tip, as the free hub body was gone on the hub....think rim was absolutely fine though.

In theory ( :facepalm: ) I'm having a bike day tomorrow so I'll have a look in the workshop and get you some pics, would be good if you can use it somehow...

Re:

lol, you can have it if I can rediscover it! :LOL:

Nice find by the way, always liked these even though I'm not a fan of Marin hardtails for some reason....

I'll check spoke count too, although you might be able to use the hub on it, STX I think, if you can find a freehub body. Sure there will be tons of stuff I can off load onto you given time :twisted:

You M'lady are a Gent...le..woman. Person.
You know what I mean. I hope. I mean thanks :-D
I have a freehub body floating about I think :)
I've been the same about their hardtails too. In fact when I bought my original rift zone the plan was actually to get a 'Dale full susser but I tried one out and it was awful. I didn't fancy the Marin till I tried one at the suggestion of my favourite shop ( Bicycle Doctor in Manchester ) and the spec was best for the money as well as riding beautifully. I got to love the looks as much as the ride.

Re:

:LOL: :LOL:

I'm with you....will check out the workshop tomorrow, just so glad I didn't take it all up the tip on my way to a job this morn, I go past the door but forgot to load it in the car...

Will be in contact with pics as soon as can.

In other news I am just wondering whether to keep the patina and just T cut the frame or go the whole hog and have it powdercoated.( I've been wondering about this for a while ) Especially if I can get something like the lime green that Orange offered in that year - they called it Slime.

Re:

Leave it as is and just ride it.... :mrgreen:

By the way, you've got some pics I've PM'ed to you of a rather fine WTB rear wheel....

Oh all right then, as it is :) ( I'll still polish it a bit )

And thanks :) - I have replied to the PM :)
I wonder how many episodes of Buffy I have to get through while I polish the cranks...

Back