Wanted Modern road bike/frame - 56-58cm

Fatal Swan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
My modern road bike was stolen at the weekend šŸ¤¬ and having carelessly sold my spare road bike less than a month ago I'm now looking for something that I can get going with quickly. Depending on what's available it could well be a stop-gap bike to ride for the next few months before I decide what to replace it with in the longer term, but if something really good is available then I'd consider it. So I don't really know what I'm looking for specifically or on what budget, but the criteria will be:

Frame size to suit me at 6'0 (I tend to be L/56/58 usually)
Lightweight frame, carbon ideally
Wheelset not too important, I've got a good rim brake wheelset that I kept as spare
SRAM or Shimano (10 or 11 speed), ideally Force/Ultegra upwards, but again I can upgrade
Within drivable distance from Hampshire for collection - or box and postable

I have some parts left over from previous builds too so I might consider just a frameset as well

I have a nice 56cm Bob Jackson tourer I'm putting up for sale soon. It's 90's era, so not modern, but I guess you're considering vintage too.

Thanks, I'm just looking for a modern road bike though, probably somewhere around 2010 onwards I guess.

My modern road bike was stolen at the weekend šŸ¤¬ and having carelessly sold my spare road bike less than a month ago I'm now looking for something that I can get going with quickly. Depending on what's available it could well be a stop-gap bike to ride for the next few months before I decide what to replace it with in the longer term, but if something really good is available then I'd consider it. So I don't really know what I'm looking for specifically or on what budget, but the criteria will be:

Frame size to suit me at 6'0 (I tend to be L/56/58 usually)
Lightweight frame, carbon ideally
Wheelset not too important, I've got a good rim brake wheelset that I kept as spare
SRAM or Shimano (10 or 11 speed), ideally Force/Ultegra upwards, but again I can upgrade
Within drivable distance from Hampshire for collection - or box and postable

I have some parts left over from previous builds too so I might consider just a frameset as well
I just looked back at your other thread which shows the bike that was stolen. Heartbreaking to have put so much effort into every single component choice and then have it stolen. Are you looking for a frameset that will build into a similarly lightweight bike or would you consider other materials such as steel or ti?

I just looked back at your other thread which shows the bike that was stolen. Heartbreaking to have put so much effort into every single component choice and then have it stolen. Are you looking for a frameset that will build into a similarly lightweight bike or would you consider other materials such as steel or ti?
Cheers - I haven't really made up my mind what to replace it with in the longer term. But it will be something carbon sub 7kg and probably similar kind of spec. When I was building up the Canyon it was a bit easier as the frame and parts were a lot cheaper a couple of years back! Funnily enough I'd been having a few minor issues with it lately since I'd brought it out after the winter (creaky seatpost, lousy Acros headset, play in the pedals, another unidentified rattle) and I'd kind of fallen out of love with it. So maybe time to try something different anyway...

For the moment I just want to get something halfway decent, quickly, that I can tweak part by part as necessary but just get out on for the early part of the summer and then we'll see. I hate riding heavy bikes though so I don't want to be on something more than 7.5-8kg even in the short term really! I'm not too bothered about steel and probably would be too heavy, I'd consider Ti for something fun and different for a short while. A few years back I had a mid-2000s Principia aluminium frame that I regretted letting go, so even something interesting and slightly earlier in aluminium could do for a while!

Know what you mean about those Across headsets, I converted mine to std ahead style as it was rubbish.

Sorry to hear about your bike - if I see anything matching your requirements I'll get in touch.

Back