Modern full suspension

I never move my saddle on the MFS as the sus allows me to stay seated for more of the time and to keep on pedalling going faster and faster!

But thats my point , your just letting the bike do the riding for you , all you do is steer . The reason i say lower the seat is to learn to move around the bike , manipulate it ; take the board out of your back and learn to flow across the Earth .

Could you imagine lopes being as quick seated ? Or a surfer sitting down ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kup_pzkdSKU

Exactly the same technique can be applied to any trail .

Only time I'm seated while on the dirt is to rest ; please pass :LOL:

perry":yzmjbuwq said:
I never move my saddle on the MFS as the sus allows me to stay seated for more of the time and to keep on pedalling going faster and faster!

But thats my point , your just letting the bike do the riding for you , all you do is steer . The reason i say lower the seat is to learn to move around the bike , manipulate it ; take the board out of your back and learn to flow across the Earth .

You've missed the point, I said the suspension allows me to sit down more of the time, not all of the time. I still stand through the most technical sections, but on the parts where you might need to continue to stand on a hardtail or retrobike, I can put in extra pedal strokes increasing speed ready to stand for the next technical section.

This is by no means sitting and steering, it is using the bike, skill and fitness to get fastest descent you have the balls for! I know how to "Flow" it is what every decent trail rider aspires to do, but if I can have some fun and get the adrenaline going by putting some extra pedal strokes in and travelling more quickly I will. ;)

As for Brian Lopes, in my experience Pro DH riders are looking to gain an extra 10th of a second wherever they can,;so if the suspension allows them to sit and pedal on sections where the competition has to stand and roll, they will take the opportunity. (This is not the same in the case of 4X where most still ride hardtails because the course is a shorter and tighter sprint and the bikes need to be lighter and more nimble).

I'd say go for it. Kona fullies are strong and reliable with lateral stiffness so you have a stable ride. My Coilair made me very happy in Canada, so I imagine you would be pretty stoked with the Four in your local trail centers. Though make sure you get the right bike for the job and to suit your style of riding. They have a nice range of sussers with 4, 5, 6" of travel (the one twenty or dawg might also be options if you still want to pedal easily.)

perry":3pm8e6h2 said:

Ahh, but Perry you are young and I am old(er) and my back can't take standing up for 3 hours.

You are right about getting off the saddle for flowing stuff but sitting down and taking the odd hit in comfort over a three or four hour ride makes the process more enjoyable in the long run... :)

unocogero":2szi3b3t said:
perry":2szi3b3t said:

Ahh, but Perry you are young and I am old(er) and my back can't take standing up for 3 hours.

You are right about getting off the saddle for flowing stuff but sitting down and taking the odd hit in comfort over a three or four hour ride makes the process more enjoyable in the long run... :)

Maybe something like this?

58733_bath_chair_lg.gif

kaiser":36huqay6 said:
unocogero":36huqay6 said:
perry":36huqay6 said:

Maybe something like this?

58733_bath_chair_lg.gif

They look a lot like modern carbon road forks! I quite like that as a mode of transport, very comfy, like a big adult pushchair! :)

Back