Modern full suspension

cchris2lou":3c82blpv said:
I dont believe a MFS bike makes you better in downhill especially a xc model with only a few cm on the back .

just practise a bit more .

100% agree. But it's a good excuse to buy a new toy :)

perry":1pkcbxr5 said:
Drop your seat so you cant pedal while seated and learn to throw the bike around . I don't mean just a few inch's , slam the seat right down .

Don't just sit and steer .

I did that out in the states on a 99 stumpy .... No kidding was 7 miles of singletrack downhill didnt have to pedal once, didnt know what was worse the smell of the V brakes or my arsehole ha.ha :LOL: :LOL:

perry":tit6p64h said:
Drop your seat so you cant pedal while seated and learn to throw the bike around . I don't mean just a few inch's , slam the seat right down .

Bang on! Get a long forked hardtail with discs if the old stuff is getting too much, then give it some serious stick. Great fun and a full susser is only faster in the hands of a top rider to boot.

Dr S":z1g8jbwe said:
perry":z1g8jbwe said:

Bang on! Get a long forked hardtail with discs if the old stuff is getting too much, then give it some serious stick. Great fun and a full susser is only faster in the hands of a top rider to boot.

Of course you are right......I started too late for this malarkey...I need to give it some more stick....but I'm too chicken :oops: of course, the only time I have come off is when I have gone too slowly.
How the heck to you keep it in control when you gone down fairly steep stuff which just looks like loose stone/rocks?

How the heck to you keep it in control when you gone down fairly steep stuff which just looks like loose stone/rocks?

Close your eyes!! :mrgreen: [/quote]

You don't have to do dangerous stuff , just thrash around in the woods , try and slide the bike in corners , watch the old dirt vid for inspiration . Really get used to moving around on the bike .

I got one of these and it solves all my downhill problems!

Attachments

• Pats HiFi 1.jpeg
    Pats HiFi 1.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 870
I'm still a MFS virgin and my early Santa Cruz (now retro) Bullit frame (and odd bits) is waiting to be built. and what I really desire though is a decent steel 'modern' even considering my bad back, but it would be rude not to try it while I have it and some forks surely..

I've a 6" travel MFS and I can honestly say I'm faster going downhill on my long-travel hardtail.
As mentioned, drop the seat and let the bike do the work. The front end will soak up the bumps and the back end will just bounce around (one reason for dropping the seat, so you don't get a saddle slammed into your nuts). Your legs also act as the suspension as your butt isn't on the seat.
If you can, try and keep your speed up (I'm still trying :roll: ) as some little drops are better taken at moderate speed. If you don't and slam on the brakes you go arse over tit (another reason why I'm trying to keep my speed up).
As for loose, rocky stuff, the bike will goes suprising well in a straightish line. If the back/front of the bike washes out, just bail and try the section again. Providing, of course, you haven't broken a limb :LOL:

who cares just ride what makes you happy not your mates, i love the retro hard tail lightness and looks and also love the new tech full sus bikes, so i have both , who cares i also have a flatland bmx in the shed and a 15" ht jump frame needing building, it all depends what mood im in as to what bike im gonna play on on any particular day,

too much debate just ride and / collect as you see fit

Back