Model year of my Kona Hot?

Neil G":3n3gcl6x said:
I mean look at the top of the range Hei Hei now compared to the old one!

Consistantly high scoring reviews and one remarked how its design bucked the trend for longer travel and proved it wasn't necassery.

Not ridden one myself, but it rates highly against strong opposition of which I'm more familiar.

If Kona had stuck to conventional steel designs they'd have been dead in the water years ago. The fact is they were probably a little slow to adopt changes in the market in the early/mid 90's - they kept thumbies, canti's and threaded headsets longer than many other similar volume manufacturers.

Don't hate the player, hate the game...

interesting thread for me as i'm starting to lust after a 98/99 explosif/hot like nothing i've ever experienced...

ratbane, if i had your bike matey, i'd probably keep that paintjob on it & just sticker it up as an explosif as i love the flames! saying that, i'm gonna respray mine it's original colour...

i have no interest in the konas from the start of this decade either, but some of this years bikes are getting my attention - just wish they'd build another high-end steel frame for the range.

ratbane":2ntd6386 said:
I touch the frame up with Boots No7 nail polish, which is the same colour. Though it'd cost a fortune for the whole frame?

Not practicable really. :) The surface will be horrible but thanks for your idea! :)

But it will be a first try to find the correct tint.

Can you tell me the name of the colour or no.?

Anthony":31cpivz1 said:
Russell":31cpivz1 said:
Always makes me chuckle when people blame Konas demise in the late 90's on 'the demon aluminium'.
I have no interest in modern Konas, but I think your use of the word demise is misplaced - they sell far more bikes now than they did in the 90s, including high-end ones and every style of bike. If that's what you mean by demise then it's a demise most businesses would envy.

What I meant by the reduction in steel sales is that starting around 96, the Kula overtook the Explosif in sales in a big way. But this was happening to all bike companies. In 1999, Kona phased out the Kilauea and moved the Cinder Cone to aluminium. In 2000, the Explosif was moved to scandium and the Caldera to aluminium. The Lava Dome was the last steel production bike, lasting until 2003. At all these times, the UK stayed loyal to steel longer than the US. The steel Lava Dome for example was a UK special, special edition steel Kilaueas came out here, runs of built-up steel Explosifs were sold here, when only frames were available in the US.

The scarcity of the 1999 Explosif is just one aspect of this shift in the market. The surprising thing is that there are still more late 90s Explosifs on eBay than Kulas, despite fewer having been sold at the time. I can only think that Kulas are not so durable, especially as they were built without replaceable hangers for a while, so maybe they haven't lasted. But maybe it's not so much a small proportion of Kulas surviving as a high proportion of steel Konas. Far fewer Explosifs were sold than Stumpjumpers, Marin Teams etc, but there seem to be more still in active service. A lot of people like them I guess.

Always enjoy reading your posts, Anthony.

I only ever owned two Konas: both Units, both modern(2004), and both steel.
After reading thread after thread on Konas here on retrobike, I found a 1993 Kona Kilauea for cheap, almost completely original. going to take it out for a ride this weekend :)

GoldenEraMTB":3sdmr1ee said:
After reading thread after thread on Konas here on retrobike, I found a 1993 Kona Kilauea for cheap, almost completely original. going to take it out for a ride this weekend :)
Hope you enjoy. Is it one of the beautiful all-red US market Kilaueas like this one?

Attachments

• 1993 Kilauea size 17 US catalogue colour.jpg
    1993 Kilauea size 17 US catalogue colour.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 956
Anthony":29gki12j said:
GoldenEraMTB":29gki12j said:
Hope you enjoy. Is it one of the beautiful all-red US market Kilaueas like this one?

Unfortunately, it is not :(

I'll post a pic this weekend...it looks just like the one from the catalog, in that champagne color with the 1" velocity stem and triple butter project two forks, along with the weird headset.

GoldenEraMTB":6x13zkel said:
Anthony":6x13zkel said:
GoldenEraMTB":6x13zkel said:

Unfortunately, it is not :(

I'll post a pic this weekend...it looks just like the one from the catalog, in that champagne color with the 1" velocity stem and triple butter project two forks, along with the weird headset.

and this is the pic of the one I just picked up:

aa2540dd.jpg

Nice! And it looks to have survived the last 16 years remarkably unscathed.

I have a few photos of 93 Kilaueas in that colour, but I'm interested that you say it's the catalogue colour - do you have that catalogue? I'm aware of two 93 catalogues - the one on Konaretro and here with two-tone colour schemes, and what I thought was the US catalogue as shown below.

Attachments

• 1993 Kilauea US catalogue.jpg
    1993 Kilauea US catalogue.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 851
Anthony":17ezafmk said:
I'm not quite sure what Tech meant by tubing profiles,

The '98 Hot had ovalised top and down tubes like the 96 and 97 Explosif, exept the joins at the head and seat tube were just sublime examples of welding. MMmmmmm :cool:

adamgent":3rat2kmx said:
Anthony":3rat2kmx said:
I'm not quite sure what Tech meant by tubing profiles,
The '98 Hot had ovalised top and down tubes like the 96 and 97 Explosif, exept the joins at the head and seat tube were just sublime examples of welding. MMmmmmm :cool:
I know you had one like that Adam (the one below?), and the tubes look very much like Columbus Max as you say, but I haven't seen one like that with an 853 sticker and I didn't know that Reynolds ever made 853 ovalised (no casual undertaking). Have you seen other 98 Hots with ovalised tubes and 853 stickers?

Attachments

• 1998 Hot SS size 18 rhs.jpg
    1998 Hot SS size 18 rhs.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 839
Back