Model year of my Kona Hot?

Gravy Monster":3a862as3 said:
ratbane":3a862as3 said:
I've never seen another one.

I have :p

IOW ride yesterday :cool:, Really nice looking bike, a kinda metallic flip grey colour which has to be appreciated in the flesh.

The guy who owns it is not a member here yet

Have a look in the IOW ride aftermath thread for more shots http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 17&start=0

99explosif.jpg

What forks are they?

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59200

ratbane":1yu1uqoj said:
Anthony, do you know how many '99 853s were produced? Poor year for steel, as everyone was convinced that alu was better. I've never seen another one. I've seen a few blue '98s mind.
Well the short answer is no. Many will no doubt feel that I should stop writing at that point. I recommend that they stop reading instead.

Right, now that I'm on my own, I seem to recall reading somewhere that they used to import 2,500 Konas per annum in the mid 90s, so maybe it was still roughly that by 1999, or maybe a few more. There were 26 models in the range, so that's an average of around 100 of each model, maybe more if sales had increased. The Explosif was quite prominent, but also one of the more expensive, so you might expect the bulk of the sales to be Fire Mountains, NuNus, Cinder Cones etc. So maybe there never were more than something like 100 or so 1999 Explosifs in the UK, could be less.

As for Hots, they used to make them in batches of 50 - and that's for the whole world. The UK was apparently the second biggest market for Konas, but even so, we're famously poverty-striken, so you won't find many Hots in the UK.

Always makes me chuckle when people blame Konas demise in the late 90's on 'the demon aluminium'.

From '99 onwards (possible earlier) there were horrific propblems at a distribution level with Konas. The distribution company, Second Level IIRC, just couldn't get them out to shops for whatever reason (I think they went bust actually) and that is the main driver behind Kona losing out at that time period.

They then made the problem worse by going with Halfords which as we all know pretty much sounds the death knell for any cycle manufacturer no matter how good they are.

If Konas distributor had managed to get their act together, or somebody other than Halfords had replaced them, there would be more Konas on the streets in the late 90's early 00's and Kona would almost certainly be a larger player than they are now. Nothing to do with frame material.

Russell":3ewyju7x said:
Always makes me chuckle when people blame Konas demise in the late 90's on 'the demon aluminium'.

From '99 onwards (possible earlier) there were horrific propblems at a distribution level with Konas. The distribution company, Second Level IIRC, just couldn't get them out to shops for whatever reason (I think they went bust actually) and that is the main driver behind Kona losing out at that time period.

They then made the problem worse by going with Halfords which as we all know pretty much sounds the death knell for any cycle manufacturer no matter how good they are.

If Konas distributor had managed to get their act together, or somebody other than Halfords had replaced them, there would be more Konas on the streets in the late 90's early 00's and Kona would almost certainly be a larger player than they are now. Nothing to do with frame material.

I think the frame material comments were directed at Kona's health worldwide, not just in the the UK. As Kona was sort of the poster child for steel hardtails for ages...they probably did take a hit in the world market when everyone and their mother went nuts for 'aluminium'.

Russell":3aybv6hr said:
I have no interest in modern Konas, but I think your use of the word demise is misplaced - they sell far more bikes now than they did in the 90s, including high-end ones and every style of bike. If that's what you mean by demise then it's a demise most businesses would envy.

What I meant by the reduction in steel sales is that starting around 96, the Kula overtook the Explosif in sales in a big way. But this was happening to all bike companies. In 1999, Kona phased out the Kilauea and moved the Cinder Cone to aluminium. In 2000, the Explosif was moved to scandium and the Caldera to aluminium. The Lava Dome was the last steel production bike, lasting until 2003. At all these times, the UK stayed loyal to steel longer than the US. The steel Lava Dome for example was a UK special, special edition steel Kilaueas came out here, runs of built-up steel Explosifs were sold here, when only frames were available in the US.

The scarcity of the 1999 Explosif is just one aspect of this shift in the market. The surprising thing is that there are still more late 90s Explosifs on eBay than Kulas, despite fewer having been sold at the time. I can only think that Kulas are not so durable, especially as they were built without replaceable hangers for a while, so maybe they haven't lasted. But maybe it's not so much a small proportion of Kulas surviving as a high proportion of steel Konas. Far fewer Explosifs were sold than Stumpjumpers, Marin Teams etc, but there seem to be more still in active service. A lot of people like them I guess.

ratbane":28wx6g7z said:
I've responded to tobibikes. Mine is indeed an H9***** frame. Also, those eylets , and stamps on the dropout, are pure Explosif.

You won't see many '99 853 Explosifs, so get the grey paint out, and restore with pride. ....

Perfect! Thanks for your answer.
I will try to find a adequate "Phantom Grey". :D

I touch the frame up with Boots No7 nail polish, which is the same colour. Though it'd cost a fortune for the whole frame?

Anthony":1sgs13bj said:
Russell":1sgs13bj said:
I have no interest in modern Konas, but I think your use of the word demise is misplaced - they sell far more bikes now than they did in the 90s, including high-end ones and every style of bike. If that's what you mean by demise then it's a demise most businesses would envy.

What I meant by the reduction in steel sales is that starting around 96, the Kula overtook the Explosif in sales in a big way. But this was happening to all bike companies. In 1999, Kona phased out the Kilauea and moved the Cinder Cone to aluminium. In 2000, the Explosif was moved to scandium and the Caldera to aluminium. The Lava Dome was the last steel production bike, lasting until 2003. At all these times, the UK stayed loyal to steel longer than the US. The steel Lava Dome for example was a UK special, special edition steel Kilaueas came out here, runs of built-up steel Explosifs were sold here, when only frames were available in the US.

The scarcity of the 1999 Explosif is just one aspect of this shift in the market. The surprising thing is that there are still more late 90s Explosifs on eBay than Kulas, despite fewer having been sold at the time. I can only think that Kulas are not so durable, especially as they were built without replaceable hangers for a while, so maybe they haven't lasted. But maybe it's not so much a small proportion of Kulas surviving as a high proportion of steel Konas. Far fewer Explosifs were sold than Stumpjumpers, Marin Teams etc, but there seem to be more still in active service. A lot of people like them I guess.

I think you are spot-on there. The move to aluminium wasn't a big issue for Kona, I think it was a shift in their market position (and buyers perception), and as the retailers will tell you, the poor distribution.

I know a few steel Explosif owners here in South Wales (Explosif and Kilauea, and they are all still much loved). I've got nothing against quality alloy frames, I just prefer the Explosif.

I mean have you seen the current paint jobs!!!!! They are having a total rethink I believe.

Russell":3thmd6uf said:

Very true, teh connection with Halfords probably put a lot of buyers off.

Have to admit though, the move to oversized, hydroformed alu and cheap graphics did spoil the brand for myself..I mean look at the top of the range Hei Hei now compared to the old one!

Back