MBK Special pro…thoughts?

May I return the favor and suggest the same of you? Do you normally volunteer others' generosity or speculate on their personal finances in public? If no one is interested enough to pitch in 50P I'd say it's not much of a gift to the community and I won't bother. It's worth a few euro to me, but not 25. If you're not interested in making a contribution it might be better not to comment in this way.

I should clarify that I already have the information contained in the brochure but I would be happy to chip in a few bucks to make it easy to retrieve by others. If there is no interest, there's no interest, and that's OK.

May I return the favor and suggest the same of you? Do you normally volunteer others' generosity or speculate on their personal finances in public? If no one is interested enough to pitch in 50P I'd say it's not much of a gift to the community and I won't bother. It's worth a few euro to me, but not 25. If you're not interested in making a contribution it might be better not to comment in this way.
Ouch!

I have helped quite a few people on here at my cost, so my money is where my mouth is. I stand by my comment.
Don't worry about it; when he sobers up he won't remember a thing.
Of course, I must have been drunk. For your information, you're abrasive and I wouldn't give you the steam off my turds.

I should clarify that I already have the information contained in the brochure but I would be happy to chip in a few bucks to make it easy to retrieve by others. If there is no interest, there's no interest, and that's OK.
You're on a forum on which people have gone, and still do go, to great lengths to help one another and to provide crucial information. Whether it be through sharing resources, karmaing bits and bobs, helping people collect and ship. Many on here are collectors of brochures and have shared happily as it is a kind thing to do and it makes the hobby that much more accessible for other people. I've received karma in abundance on here and also given when I was able to, for the good of community and friendship in what is a rather niche hobby. You're asking for microdonations for a brochure, then say that you actually have it in your possession (to my understanding) but you'd like a few bob to scan it and upload it? Jeez o man. You're speaking of gifting others generosity, having a go at a person who spends most of his days on here helping people

Of course not, and I will be happy to post old brochures I have, picked up at shops in the 1980s--if there is any interest. But I'm not a collector of ephemera in the sense that I ever buy such things. I merely wanted to gauge the interest of this group in this. I would be happy to pay for a good chunk of it myself and even have it mailed to someone with more interest in it if he promised to make it available widely. That would seem to be volunteering someone else's time. Instead, I would pay to send it here (from Italy) and do the scanning, communicating with the various C&V groups, and uploading. I was not asking anyone to buy something for me.

I hope that's clear and also clear why I regarded the response as little better than, "Hey buddy, you've got plenty of time and presumably money, so be a good chap and do this yourself," which does not seem terribly polite. I need no instruction on how forums work or the value of contributions of knowledge to others. I am a moderator of another (noncycling) forum and devote a great deal of my time to helping others there and have paid most of the hosting fee for nearly 100 members. I need no guidance in this.

Here are some of the brochures I had, last time I looked, most from the mid- to late-1980s. It's not much:

Gitane (brochure and price list for USA)
Mavic SSC group (full catalogue)
Maillard Helicomatic
Peugeot 1987 (USA)
Zeus (price list)
Cyclopedia catalogues (eccentric supplier of Campagnolo, Stronglight, Siimplex, et al, with articles)--real time machine. Illustrated throughout by Daniel Rebour drawings
Dozens of other materials I can't remember

If anyone is interested let me know.

Thanks,

Mike

Of course not, and I will be happy to post old brochures I have, picked up at shops in the 1980s--if there is any interest. But I'm not a collector of ephemera in the sense that I ever buy such things. I merely wanted to gauge the interest of this group in this. I would be happy to pay for a good chunk of it myself and even have it mailed to someone with more interest in it if he promised to make it available widely. That would seem to be volunteering someone else's time. Instead, I would pay to send it here (from Italy) and do the scanning, communicating with the various C&V groups, and uploading. I was not asking anyone to buy something for me.

I hope that's clear and also clear why I regarded the response as little better than, "Hey buddy, you've got plenty of time and presumably money, so be a good chap and do this yourself," which does not seem terribly polite. I need no instruction on how forums work or the value of contributions of knowledge to others. I am a moderator of another (noncycling) forum and devote a great deal of my time to helping others there and have paid most of the hosting fee for nearly 100 members. I need no guidance in this.

Here are some of the brochures I had, last time I looked, most from the mid- to late-1980s. It's not much:

Gitane (brochure and price list for USA)
Mavic SSC group (full catalogue)
Maillard Helicomatic
Peugeot 1987 (USA)
Zeus (price list)
Cyclopedia catalogues (eccentric supplier of Campagnolo, Stronglight, Siimplex, et al, with articles)--real time machine. Illustrated throughout by Daniel Rebour drawings
Dozens of other materials I can't remember

If anyone is interested let me know.

Thanks,

Mike
Bit of a long shot... don't suppose you got an 84 Motobécane catalogue in your collection?

Back