Marin IFT '92....done!

Re:

Painted the stem and forks and a lot of elbow grease on the frame...the green isn't spot on but near enough out of a rattle can.

Definitely a couple of things missing ;)

Love it - top job. These are great bikes - I've got the '93 version which I've restored and I'm about to paint all the purply blue bits. See if you can get a Marin bottle cage too and paint it to match the forks.

Out of interest what paint did you use? - looks like you've achieved a great finish :)

Re:

Halfords own neon green...stripped them first, good coat of anti rust primer, little bit of flattening to do then with 600 grit, built up the top coat over a few hours then when totally dry got the decals on and built up a nice coat of clear...paint isn't rock hard but defo looks good atm. ;)
The colour shown on the lid of the can is about 10 shades lighter than the finished paint...Halfords for you :)

Ahh.....good old Halfords Neon. Didn't realise they did a green. I've sprayed all my Marin Pine Mountain forks with their Orange neon.

Did you use a white primer?

Ahh....probably why the finished green is darker than the lid of the aerosol. The neon orange only really works with a white undercoat.

But it looks great - don't reckon it needs to be any lighter.

Lovely looking bike. What tyres you going for?

Re:

just got some slicks with amber wall as its going to be used for road mostly...they arnt "retro" ones which may spoil the finish.

Latest posts

Back