Rebuild 95 Stinson BB question.

Spankyfart

Marin Fan
After 3 days of soaking I finally got out the BB from a 95 Marin Stinson I'm rebuilding for someone.
All but the cocpit and fork is useable so I want to fit a WI crank from a Marin IFT 95.
The BB from the Stinson seems to be 111mm and the chainrings on the Alivio chainset looks the same as the WI chainset.

Dumb question, do I fit another 111mm? Or does the WI crank need another width.
I assume BB's and chainlines are the same always, so a new 111mm should be correct.

Asking just to be safe.

:cool:

rust bracket.jpg

Anyone that can say something sensible, SB didn't give me an answer.
It needs to go to the powdercoater so I'm in no rush but I'd like to buy the right BB.

The crankset determines the correct BB spindle-length. The best bet, if you can, is look at the BB that the crankset was attached to on the IFT (presuming everything was fine on that bike). Alternatively, someone on here might know the correct spindle-length for this crankset. If all else fails, simply reinstall the LP20 that was on the Stinson, attach the crankset, and examine the chain line. That should give you a good idea of whether you need to go larger, smaller, or stay the same.

Just measured the BB on the IFT, which I replaced but I assume using the measurements of the old one.
It's 107mm, so I guess going 111mm "should" be no problem?
The IFT ran great on XT M739 - 8speed.
The Stinson will be running DX - 7 speed.

Hmmm. Longer BB spindle, shorter cassette... Results could be 'interesting'. If you've got to buy a new BB, why not buy 107mm?

The original Stinson is 7sp Alivio (95) 111mm, I can take the 107mm out of the IFT and try if the chain line is good.
Makes sense since I already have one (even though it's installed). It's a year old.
Not reinstalling the rusty original :LOL:
I'll come back to this after powder-coating.

Back