Marin B17 2000

Re:

Ah yes, I see it now.... Or more to the point I don't :).

I have two Marin X frames from 2000/2001 and both the original seatpost are 27.0. I tried a 27.2 when I got the first one but no way would it go in more than an inch or so. Of course the B17 could be different again.

Re:

So.... an exciting day today.
Todays the day I picked up my frame parts from the powder coaters. Feels like xmas.

The next few posts are going to be pic heavy so I apologise for that now.

Time to unwrap the clingfilmed beauties.

Re:

First job, rebuild the front forks.
Basic spring forks, easy to strip, easy to service and easy to rebuild. These will do until something better comes along. As it is this build is on a kind of budget so no money for a decent set of Fox just yet.

The legs look fantastic in the orange, I'm afraid the pics don't do the powder coat justice.

Forks rebuilt, new grease, seals and wipers.

Forks with my beautiful workshop wallpaper in the background.

Decal time, just to liven them up.

Re:

And the tango'd swingarm.
New Enduro bearings fitted. Have two spare if anyone needs to buy any.

Re:

They say imitation is the best form of flattery, or something like that.
So I stole Ben's idea with the gear hanger but with a little twist.
I polished up all the outside metal but left the inner square with the original blue paint from the 2000 B17 colour scheme, as a little nod to its origins.

Re:

So now onto the frame build up.
First thing, attach swing arm and mount rear shock. This is a Fox Float RP2 in excellent working condition.
Again, not the best but will do for the meantime. If anyone is interested it is a 200x57 shock.

Its almost starting to look like a bicycle!!

Re:

Ok, time to put some facts out there, for some of the doubters.
The idea was always to run a 650b setup on this bike. I was informed initially that a) it wouldn't work and b) I would have trouble fitting tyres, there would be clearance issues.

Well, after trying several different tyres I have decided Schwalbe Nobby Nics are the tyres I like the most, and as far as size goes a 2.35 tyre is what I have settled on. I believe I could get a 2.4 in there as there is still some clearance but I like the look of these so they are staying.

And to prove the clearance....

Also, the seatpost fitted is a 27.2 post which slides all the way from top to bottom.

Re:

I remember reading on here that the B17 has a longer swingarm than the rest of the range, would be good to prove/dispell that rumour if you could get a measurement.

Really surprised at the seat post though, both mine have their original Marin Ovation posts that are clearly branded 27.0 and one has been replaced with a Easton carbon post again clearly marked 27.0 that does not slip. I have a 27.2 post from my GT that won't fit beyond the top inch or two.

I run one of my frames with 26" X 2.5 tyres that just fit between the stays,

Are you having to clean up many threads/faces following the powder coat? That is my biggest fear in getting mine done.

How much for the spare bearings?

Re:

No threads to clean up. I used some old bottom bracket cups to protect the threads, some old headset cups to keep that clean. All other threads I stuck bolts in (bottle mounts etc). The powder coat guys masked all bearing surfaces so no clean up at all.

Where do you want me to measure the swing arm from and to??

Back