Marin B17 2000

Re:

Latest update.

De-canti'ed the swingarm and also modded the cable mounts for hydraulic hose.

Also checked the 650b wheels I have and they were running an 8sp freewheel!!
(Have to say they were a freebie from a Giant hardtail that had a knackered frame so I inherited it and have been farming parts off of it. This is where this crazy 650b idea kinda started.)

So a new pair of Deore centrelock hubs sourced for the princely sum of £16 brand new, and two wheel builds soon to take place. Pics soon.

Back to update and here's the pics.

Have also discovered a cheeky 8mm hole in the underside of the frame. Any ideas what this is here for?

I have a germ of an idea what I can do with it but wondered if it was there for a reason or has a previous owner been trigger happy with a drill?

Re:

Pretty sure that hole was for a cable hanger to keep the gear and brake cables away from the rear shock. One of my Marins that runs a 184mm shock has the same hole (although I thought it was smaller than 8mm) but the other that runs a shorter (170mm I think) does not. They are both from around 2000/2001 and both have the 27mm seat post and ovation tubing.

Interested to hear how you removed the brake bosses, it is something I have considered in the past.

Re:

Angle grinder to get most of the bosses off.
Then a Dremel with various cutting and sanding discs, and a hand file.
And a spare few hours!!

Re:

Wheel update. They're built and done.

These are how they started, standard 650b Giant wheels, unknown rim and hub combo but the hubs are rubbish, screw on for a freewheel, no freehub.

So I rebuilt both wheels with Deore hubs, centre lock brakes and a freehub.

Completed the transformation with some stealthy Easton wheel decals.

Very pleased with the result.
Next step is to get the frame and forks into powdercoat, and start the build up.

Anyone got any ideas on a good colour scheme?
I'm thinking classic Marin grey and orange but open to suggestions..

Re:

Suspension forks stripped, lower legs sent off to be stripped.
All other parts cleaned and greased.

Re:

Last pics of the naked metal.
Frame, swingarm and front fork lower legs now in the possession of the local powder coaters, colours picked and now to wait until they are back and I can start the build properly.
Have pretty much amassed all the parts needed now so i'm getting a little excited now.

If you are still going 1x10 why did you leave the cable stop for the front mech? Remote dropper post perhaps, then again don't the 2000 model year have a 27mm seatpost? I haven't seen a dropper smaller than 27.2mm.

Do you work in a bike shop, the mech hanger poster seems a bit much even for a Retrobike :).

Re:

Cable stop for front mech has been removed. Check the last pics, the only cable stops are for rear mech and modified stops for hydraulic cables.

Yep, you guessed it, thats my workshop. :LOL:

Re:

And I'm sure its 27.2 for the seatpost. Thats the size of the one being fitted and it does fit!
Thomson do a really nice 27.2 dropper, fitted a couple and it is a real neat bit of kit but probably a little overkill for this bike. I doubt its going to see too much hardcore downhilling!

Back