Marin 1990 Bear Valley Rebuild - FINISHED !!! PAGE 38 !!!

Re: Marin 1990 Bear Valley Rebuild - FINISHED !!! PAGE 38 !!

A little bit of an update :shock: :LOL:

I sent a few bits to Rampage / Intrincycle to re anodise as spares (also with some bits / spares for the Airborne and the Fat) along with some 7075 bar :

After Rampage had worked his magic :

The 7075 bar was converted into these, some for the Marin, some for the Airborne, some for the Fat (oversize), spares and one for Cherrybomb :

They are for the USE posts, they are my custom design to :

A) Replace lost / missing / hard to source (correctly sized) items.
B) Stop the pin moving rewards and the front bolt head touching / damaging the finish on the front of the post.
C) Add a bit of bling :cool: :LOL:

In keeping with the black / polished finish of the Ringles, I sanded and polished certain parts of them :

They look really nice assembled and fit well, just ignore the greasy finger marks :LOL: :

Equal spacing from top of post to both front and back bolts :

Really pleased with the result :cool:

WD :D

Re:

They look fantastic built up :cool:

Can't wait for mine to arrive now, it may even be getting a different home to the one I had planned.

I reckon it will go perfectly with the Sanderson Life frame I've just won on Ebay. :cool:

I spent some time going through your Airborne rebuild as I came across one for sale. Love your attention to detail. I try, but lack funds, so cleaning and detailing parts is where I focus my attention. I look forward to reading your Marin Bear Valley rebuild, as I have a 94 Bear Valley SE, fairly recently acquired. It is in very good shape but will not get the attention yours did. Plus the fact that I have 5 bike projects on the go. My BV SE is destined to just be an occasional ride - I just wanted a good example of an older steel frame, and the fact that it has (almost) all the 1994 Shimano STX SE bits stock, is an added bonus.

Your build reinforce's my thoughts that some bikes are for riding, and some, like yours, are truly works of art. Well done.

PS. If the car gets the same amount of attention, I would love to see that finished project. I'm also into cars/motorcycles/trucks and have been around the show and race circuit with all of them at some time or another. Current rides are 2001 GMC Sierra C3 (stock) and a fairly customized 86 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator drag bike switched to chain drive and on nitrous, among other things custom.

Looks really good. Perhaps I missed it but did you anodise the main part of the mech, the bit with the black XT plate, or just polish it up? I assume polished as it won't completely come apart, well not easily.

Hi,

Thanks for the comments, is nice to see the thread still generates some interest :cool:

The middle / parallelogram bit of the mech was just stripped back as much as possible without removing the rivits (as per the picture) and then polished.

I can't remember for sure, but I probably masked of the black bit, polished the ally bits (Meguiars NXT metal), removed the masking and then polished the black bit (Meguiars scratch x).

The mech was in pretty good condition anyway, it took me a while to source and I think it ended up coming from USA or Canada ?

It wasn't NOS, but it was pretty damn good and when you look at it on the bike (now it's cleaned and if it wasn't modified a little), it could easily have passed of as being so ... :cool:

All the best everyone for the new year :xmas-cool:

WD :D

Thanks, that's what I assumed. That's the type of mech I try and go for, one where the black section's scratch free, makes so much difference.

Wow, great Thread Dig, I remember this one.. Awesome Build thread.. :cool:

Back