Marin 1990 Bear Valley Rebuild - FINISHED !!! PAGE 38 !!!

Thanks for the comment :D

Yes, I always liked how it rode when comparing it to my friend’s bikes of similar (and higher) price ranges, some from manufactures that have great respect and a good retro following ;)

I was never quite happy with how the Ringle seat quick release fitted the frame (M5 going through a 6.5mm diameter hole and the tapered washers were bigger than the frame lugs :? ) so I modified it and made a few new bits :

DSC03459.jpg

It fits much nicer now :

DSC03461.jpg

DSC03462.jpg

You can see how I have de-burred / smoothed all the frame / lug / boss edges, this should (hopefully) help the lining look smoother around these places and less prone to chips / damage.

WD :D

re:

great work with that xt mech! I'll probarly have to do that on my new Marin project. But it's hopefully a bit lighter then 2,4kilos and a 19", just hope it isn't way to big.

I'm really going to enjoy following this thread.
Keep up the good work. I love attention to detail.

Thanks for the encouraging comments :D

Benandemu - Where about's in Lancashire are you ? Not after any addresses etc, just a basic area – I am near Bolton. Those are some nice bikes in you sig, I think I have seen a picture of them floating around on here in the past :cool:

A couple of NOS bits I picked up, I think both these items are getting quite rare / hard to get hold of ? :

DSC03454.jpg

DSC03456.jpg

I have also bought a few bits of members on here that should turn up soon – Flite, SRP ti crank bolts & XTR 1” threaded :D

This is the pile for hard anodizing, the bags at the back are for re-chroming / re-zincing :

DSC03457.jpg

The anodizing will be satin black, yes even the purple and blue bits are getting it to :twisted: It will be sent once I have a batch of car bits finished to send at the same time.

I have been ‘modifying’ the brake levers on the miller (I did acquire a spare set first just in case it went wrong :LOL: ), I will get some pictures up soon.

This is great!!
Just how it should be...

...If you can't buy it, build it!!

In answer to your question, I'm in Preston.

Who's doing the plating work? Are you using Willachrome (pronounced that way, but unsure of spelling) in St.Helens?

I thought I was alone in my 'polishing of parts' obsession. Reminds me of the approach I have to building cars too.

Hi,

For anodising I have been using 'Color Anodising' in Radcliffe. This will be the third batch as I stockpile it for a while due to min order quantity cost. I have been very happy with the stuff they have done for me in the past :cool:

For zincing I have been using 'Thomas Smith Fasteners' in Ince (Wigan) as they have been plating stuff for my car and being a bolt supplier they are fully aware of hydrogen embrittlement problems on the high tensile stuff etc. They have a min order to but much more reasonable than the anodising and I have some laser cut car bits to go with them to. Again I have been very happy with past orders :cool:

For the chroming I did use 'Leigh Metal Polishers' but they were only the middle man and have since fell out with there supplier. I am hoping Thomas Smith can help, if not the chrome bag will be going zinc to :( but even so they will look better than light surface rust :D (now polished off and 'unprotected').

"Reminds me of the approach I have to building cars too" - Interesting, do tell :D This bike build is a temporay distraction for me (and my finances) away from my car build :LOL:

The brake levers had been hand drilled by me during an over enthusiastic weight saving exercise way back in the early 90’s. Looking at them now I was actually quite surprised at how even / straight I had managed to get them but decided it was risk free (as I have since picked up a spare set off here) to stick them on the miller and see if I could neaten them up in any way, I was pleasantly surprised …

DSC03467.jpg

Dressed up and on my old set of bars :

DSC03471.jpg

I think I will do the same with the front mech (You can see the holes on the pic above) and if I can source some good XT thumb shifters (see note in sig) they will get it to. I have original DX ones at the moment and everything on them is spot on – no rust / scratches etc but the clear covers over the text are starting to lift around the edges :cry:

Some more goodies sourced of this forum – Flite / XTR 1” threaded / SRP Ti crank bolts (Spec in earlier post updated accordingly) :

DSC03482.jpg

Exactly as described by the sellers so thanks to gump, martintobikes & jez-4-bikes-max :cool:

WD Pro":8g2g0mit said:
Hi,

For anodising I have been using 'Color Anodising' in Radcliffe. This will be the third batch as I stockpile it for a while due to min order quantity cost. I have been very happy with the stuff they have done for me in the past :cool:

Have you tried Mansfield anodisers?

I've had a fair amount of stuff done by them in the past (mainly RC Car stuff) and I know others on here have had bike bits done.

They always do a good job and are easy to talk to but the best bit is they only have a £20 minimum order fee. ;)

It might mean you can get stuff done a little quicker. :?

Back