Mantis…

RockiMtn":2cuuxskf said:
biglev":2cuuxskf said:
i might have a seal kit for a 94 noleen shock if you need.

thanks i'd be interested, but i've been told that these shocks are filled with nitrogen gas, as opposed to just air. so it's not like i'll be servicing these myself. anyway, please send me a PM with pics and your asking price for the seal kit. thanx!

i will see if i have it in the shed not seen it for 15 years. i also have the nitro charger and some shims. your local shock builder can rebuild if they have the seals and i think the nitro pressure used to be 200psi (+/-20), so don't pop it open for a look!!

awesome, let me know! i won't be doing anything with the shocks, as i wouldn't have a clue to even begin to try. and servicing an old Marzocchi XC600 fork earlier this week has filled my need for any sort of "popping" experience! :LOL:

Nice Floaters Frank. (Yeah I'm stalking your threads again)

The "C" in the serial does indicate a Control Tech manufactured frame. I can support that observation. The silicone around the BB bearings was probably done as a homebrew solution to creaking. The ProFloater is a slick design, but it is not very durable. I rode with a dude back in the day who was a Mantis guy and in addition to popping a few swing arms and cracking a top tube his frame never stopped creaking.

At Interbike for a few years in the early-mid 90's, Mantis frames were hung with Critical Racing components, which ironically enough were also not terribly durable or fit for hard use. I may have a few pics laying around, I'll have to look. You may want to hunt down some Critical bits for the build.

The ProFloater is sort of like the Manitou frames in my mind. Neat bits from back in the day, but more suited to hanging above the fireplace with halogens pointing at it than being ridden. Or use it as a "High Days and Holidays" bike. I have a few of those myself. :D

hahaha, james i'm honoured you've come out of hiding and graced my threads. and glad to see you've expanded your vocabulary on my threads to more than just one word. ;)

CR parts seem to be few and far between. only have a set of red QRs on the Cirrus. Aside from QRs, canti brakes and stems, what else did they offer? would love to get a hold of CR stem.

you got any info on the rear suspension brace i found a few pics of? only found one bike that had it. curious if it's a DIY job or if it was actually an aftermarket item, and if so, by who? i'd like to hunt one down.

Attachments

• 3350d1076122477-lets-see-those-rare-parts-criticalstem.jpg
    3350d1076122477-lets-see-those-rare-parts-criticalstem.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 434
What is the outer diameter of the stays on the Floater? I think I have a TWP brace, but I'm 99% sure it is an AMP B2 brace. I don't recall TWP making the brace for anything else. But if the OD of your stays matches or is close to matching the B2, and I can find the TWP, you are welcome to it.

Know anyone who can measure their B2 stays OD (and spread of stays too!)? I haven't owned an AMP in a few years.

i've already tried. i have both an AMP brace and a TWP brace for AMP rear (on my Mongoose Amplifier (B2) and a 95 RM the Edge (B3)), and neither fit the stays on the Mantis. :(

why wouldn't you ride with the stem on dirt? prone to failure??? or too boutique to get dirty???

crap really??? i stay away from kooka stuff cuz of that reputation. guess i'll have to add critical racing to that list as well. :p

an alternative stem would be an Answer Manitou stem. i like the look of those as well.

Back