MacRetro chat and rides thread

Re:

Done.
Have to say, it's not a section I look at much since I sold the Colnago. Good to see so many properly old (compared to mtb's) bikes still being used.

Cheers guys, much appreciated.
I didn't put it through as I run the comp and it just feels a bit weird putting my own machine up for it, even though it's not anywhere near the standard of these, it was more to try and encourage entries. Though once I finish my Jack Taylor, well there might just be a Jack Taylor month ;) :)
There is a lot of riding goes on with these old machines but not a lot post about it, which is a shame.
When I looked at the readers ride pages there were 24 or so 531 machines on the first page and there are 105 pages of bikes in readers rides, so maybe we could have had a few more entered? We do tend to get some very high quality machines so quality over quantity I suppose and what I really like is that most have a story behind them and most, still get ridden regularly. There are the wall hangers and members who don't really ride, just restore but the majority tend to get used.

Jamie

Re:

I reckon the effort you put in to run and push the comp means you're perfectly entitled to put your own bike up Jamie, not as if you can rig the vote or anything.
Like Clubby, it's not a section of the site I tend to frequent very often. I've considered getting a retro road bike project but don't have the same affinity with them as the mountain bikes plus I don't have the room! :LOL:

I did own a 531 Peugeot road bike for a few years in a rather fetching pink/black fade but gave it away to the bike recycling place in Edinburgh several years ago.

Re:

Jamie the one and only reason I've never entered a BotM comp is I don't have a build thread in fact I cant be arsed putting one together. I thinking thats one reason for poor entries, I'm sure I'm not the only lazy git on here, I can just about get off my butt and take a pic or two. I also think the recent issues with PhotoBucket wouldn't have helped either.
Don't get me wrong I know why we have the "build thread" requirement.

Re:

Sorry Jamie, missed the voting. You should give us a wee prompt with plenty of time.

Thanks guys,
Not to worry K, it was just that when I logged in late last night and seen the low number of votes I just thought I would ask around.
Rob, you don't have to have a build thread, just if you do, then link to it. It's not a requirement though. A lot of people don't even have a thread of any description in the readers rides pages for their bikes but all are welcome. Basically as long as you or someone you know owns it, then it's in.

Jamie

Announcement.....I'm coming out the closet, time to get my MAMIL on!

Looking at getting a road/cx type bike mainly for commuting and the odd road ride in winter, not got a scooby as to what's good and bad in this game.

So after a bit of advice as to any recommendations to look at.

Initial reading up has listed
Genesis croix de fer
Cannondale caadx
Boardman cx comp
Gt grade
Norco threshold
Whyte Suffolk

Any advice appreciated max cost is around 1000 as will be on bike to work.

Cheers

Have a look at Planet X as they have some really good bikes, either pure CX or gravel/road type machines for great prices.
Good to see you coming across from the Dark side ;) make sure to drop into the Road section sometime and look forward to seeing you on Mr P's road ride at Loch Tay :) :)

Jamie

Back