MacRetro chat and rides thread

keithyr":3smoi5l3 said:
Announcement.....I'm coming out the closet, time to get my MAMIL on!

Looking at getting a road/cx type bike mainly for commuting and the odd road ride in winter, not got a scooby as to what's good and bad in this game....
All good bikes.

But the keeper in there is the Genesis.

Initial reading up has listed

Genesis croix de fer : Heavy but good looking
Cannondale caadx : Very CX so racy/nimble/flighty/harsh etc
Boardman cx comp : Same as Cannondale
Gt grade : By all acounts a decent bike, looks better in the flesh
Norco threshold : Dunno
Whyte Suffolk : Something about Whyte that turns me off so I've no idea if its any good but they seem popular.

Consider the new Charge Plug (may be over budget), Marin Four Corners, Specialized Sequoia or AWOL, Genesis VAgabond theres loads more really. I'd avoid the ends of the spectrum ie CX or Touring. The gravel bikes are plentiful and would be a better bet IMO.

From Mr K's list I think the charge plug or the AWOL would both be great machines. An Awol with all the Specialized bike packing bags would be cool.

Jamie

cheers for the advice guys, on sizing looks like I'm right between L and XL or 58-60cm.

any advice on sizing, better to go larger for comfort?

Re:

Now the serious reply.
Yes you'd definitely be better with a larger frame for the longer rides you do on that type of bike without stopping all the time.
My advice is to go to Edinburgh bike co-op or Dales in Glasgow and try as many different bikes as you can. Road sizing can be a bit confusing (to me anyway) and differs between brands. When I was shopping before my Canyon I swung between 54-58 depending on brand.

kaiser":n8ljt6ko said:
Initial reading up has listed

Genesis croix de fer : Heavy but good looking
Cannondale caadx : Very CX so racy/nimble/flighty/harsh etc
Boardman cx comp : Same as Cannondale
Gt grade : By all acounts a decent bike, looks better in the flesh
Norco threshold : Dunno
Whyte Suffolk : Something about Whyte that turns me off so I've no idea if its any good but they seem popular.

Consider the new Charge Plug (may be over budget), Marin Four Corners, Specialized Sequoia or AWOL, Genesis VAgabond theres loads more really. I'd avoid the ends of the spectrum ie CX or Touring. The gravel bikes are plentiful and would be a better bet IMO.

Cannondale caadx- friend has one, nice, but he's had issues with poor quality factory wheel build on his.
Boardman CX Team- very nice, I really can't fault it (Edit: except for the PF30 bottom bracket, but that's progress, appatently).
GT Grade- I have one (alloy frame) and love it, comfy and does everything I ask of it.

Charge Plug - nice but a but more weighty I think?

The "Gravel" type bikes are great all-rounders.

Back