MacRetro chat and rides thread

Re: Re:

jimo746":23bzye47 said:
Is there one bike to rule them all?
The only bike you need.?

I'm down to 2 bikes (for the moment!).*

It feels good, but could be better?

*except for the one in storage elsewhere :facepalm:
My Kona The King, shit name but great bike.

Re:

One bike to do everything is easy.
One bike to do everything well is impossible.

Colin's example is correct for him. For myself, there's no way I would enjoy a lot of my riding on that particular bike. The riding I do on my trips abroad would be impossible.

If I theoretically "had" to strip my current fleet to bare minimum it would be three.

Santa Cruz 5010 - 27.5 130mm full sus
Saffron 29er hardtail 100mm fork.
Charge Plug - disc brake road/cross clearance for 40mm tyres.

Sorry to say retro would not be on the list. As much as I love them, modern bikes just do it better. Luckily I don't have to strip right down do I can make do with the eight I have now. :)

Re:

Yeah it depends on the terrain you're riding as to what will do the job. As technology has progressed the trails have too, meaning that one bike to do everything is nearly impossible to find these days. MTBing has never been about riding the steepest "gnarliest" routes possible for me so a rigid mountain bike still does the job for most of the riding I enjoy. Don't get me wrong, trail centre stuff is really fun but I'm happy on Red/Blue routes which can be tackled on a fully rigid bike.

I suppose the bike I was talking about would be a modern, custom built, version of my old bike. So disc brakes, front shocks with lock-out and a good range of gears to cover road and off-road. A set of 700c disc wheels to throw on for road rides would be essential, I couldn't be arsed swapping tyres over every time I wanted to go for a road ride.

As it is though I'm happy with the smallish :oops: fleet of bikes I have.

Re:

As I'm getting older the bandwidth of my bike requirements is getting smaller. I'll be moving on my Reign big bike and I really don't need a road bike/racer though I will run the Colnago for a while. At the moment I'd get away with a gravel/cx bike and a hardtail I think. I'm heading towards at the moment, the Pug, Rooster, Plug and Colnago and I'm buying a new hardtail. The only reason I'm keeping the Pug and Rooster is that I like them rather than need them and I'm hoping the Colnago will fall into that category too. So 2 bikes but I like 5. Retro is a different kettle of fish, for some time its been about collecting rather than as a practical bike, mind you not much has happened on that front for a while.

Re: Re:

DynaCol":2zllujjq said:
A set of 700c disc wheels to throw on for road rides would be essential, I couldn't be arsed swapping tyres over every time I wanted to go for a road ride.

Agreed. Only problem is you also need spare rotors and probably a cassette as well, otherwise swapping those is a faff as well. Costs start adding up and for a bit more you could have a low end cross bike that would do that job better.
Kaiser, still got the horsethief or has that gone as well? Gone off the idea of a mid-travel full sus to replace the salsa and giant?

Re:

Yes still have the Horsethief but it'll be going to. Mid travel susser is now going to be a hardtail. I genuinely think I enjoyed myself more on a hardtail and I'm thinking my riding in the future will be limited to trail centres and local. Hardtail more than sufficient. Susser was great for going fast but it was faster than me and I never really liked jumps or drops on them.

I'm cutting down also and think I can do with 3 or 4!

Intense 140mm full suss 29er
Would def keep the fatbike especially after doing 150mile or so on it in aviemore the last 2 weeks!
Singlespeed Zaskar- may build up into a winter hardtail again.

In market for a new cyclocross/ road bike for commuting which I'm hoping as an xmas present to replace the breezer.

And then I saw this and gonna have to save up for it lol. http://singletrackworld.com/2016/09/eur ... -fat-bike/

Back