Lubricant...What for where?

GT85 or Boeshield T-9 on the chain

Mobilgrease XHP222 for bearings, freehubs

Copperslip on threads

Triflow & Pace Fork grease on shifter innards

Hunters silicon oil for brake pistons.

I'm in the camp of If you REALLY clean your drivechain after every ride, it really doesn't matter what you use.

I'd align with LGF to be honest and say that although the last 'Few' years I've been using the proper stuff, I simply didn't have the cash for it in the 90s. I cleaned everything with WD40 and lubed the chain with 3 in 1. Bearings got the grease my dad brought home from work. My drivechains lasted a VERY long time of daily use (literally, I was riding every day), but they were always fastidiously clean.

I know for a fact that for one year I only used WD40, and had no problems at all.

Re:

a 40 year old bike needs 40 year old grease

50090516823_be206f7a4a_z.jpg

it was much fuller when I found it in our garage when I was restoring my first Carlton in 1982 age 15

Re:

Paraffin bath for chains anyone? No further cleaning required. Just done 4 chains in about 15 minutes. Rotate every 150 (very wet) - 300 (dry) miles.

Don't know how good/bad it is, only done about 250 miles on this so far. Supposed to extend chain life up to 70%. Most importantly, there's no black gunk on the chain and the chain self-cleans when you re-lube it.

I've been thinking of using paraffin in the ultrasonic cleaner for a chain if it's really gunky but not worn enough to change. I've used it to soak & clean chains normally in the past.

Re:

Rw, you mean you'll add another lube to it after paraffin?

I'm running pure paraffin wax, no other lube added. In fact, I've cleaned all the factory lube off the chains before "boiling" them in the wax. There's no gunk forming on the chain and when you "boil" it again, any dirt that got into it comes out.

I use:
BTwin teflon grease (from Decathlon) for bearings
Coppaslip for threaded assembly and seatposts
My preferred chain lube is Purple Extreme for mountain and cross bikes (it sticks really well and seems to do a good job of shedding dirt) and Finish Line ceramic lube for road bikes.
Pace forks get a regular squirt of the Pace grease.

Back