Lotus

The Esprit is very Cool, but a not so rational pick I understand. I kinda antcipated on that. I do not immediately take it off my shortlist, as the car will be used as 2nd car, what leaves some room for a not so rational choice.

The early 90s leaves me pretty much cold too, plus it is too expensive for what it is imo

The Europa is of course a very Cool car. I remember that I had an orange Corgi of that car when I were a kid. It was my favourite toy.

I have to educate myself on whether it is financially feasible to buy such Europe, doing so keeping eye on what shape it will be than and what maintanance I can expect. I do not want to allocate much effort to keeping a car on the road, I do not have much facilities and overhere supply of parts (and sevice) will probably also not be like in UK.

Atm I estimate my budget I will have ready for the purchase will be around 20k in euros. Somewhere in that league I will be buying. I think that makes acquiring a Elise with Toyo engine a mission impossible, but when time goes by it will come into reach.

Opel: I do not want the Opel dirivative. A car I buy for 'fun' in the 1st place, I do not want with a the badge of the most dull make in the industry. Moreover they are afficilitated with GM and after the killing of SAAB and other questionable practices there must be a very reason why I would want to ride in a GM product. They are an uninspired dump conglomerate with mediocre ethics.

Okay, so potential flaws with the Elise are dampers and engine. Looks like the Elise would be the intelligent choice for me.

I've had two Elises, an S1 111S and an S2 Racetech, both with the K Series engine. I really regret selling the S1, it was like new. It only had 7000 miles on it when I got it, and had 14k on it when I sold it. As the mileage was so low, I was foolishly paranoid about every mile I did. I should have enjoyed it more.

People give the K series a bad rep, but I think it's a great engine that really suits the Elise's personality. It's got quite a lot of torque at low RPM which makes the Elise fun round town. Head gasket issues are usually caused by not warming the engine through properly (remember, oil temps lag 10 mins or more behind water temps), also cooling down properly - don't just come home straight off the motorway - give the fluids some time to cool off before parking up and switching off.

That said, a popular conversion is the Honda lump out of the Civic R - I've been in a VTEC Elise and it was mental in every sense of the word.

I'd buy another Elise again in a heartbeat. There are a lot of ropey ones about though. Most important is to buy on condition, not mileage. You will know the right car when you see it, also remember nice people sell nice cars. Always try and buy privately with a car like this - you will learn a lot by meeting the current owner, seeing where the car lives etc etc.

Good luck, they're awesome cars!

Re: .

Grannygrinder":2lhjvfz3 said:
I know nothing about Loti/Lotus's. But i'm told the eclat is good value for money. Not the prettiest though.

Isn't tthat the most unreliable Lotus of them all? My mate's brother had one - awesome when it was working, unfortunately emphasis on the when!!!

Out of the three you've listed I'd say Elise for an easy life, although as Dr.S says the older Elans are lovely cars, buy a copy of Octane and have a look in the back!

@marktplaats now ca 30 Lotus offered, among them this Europa

Seller is asking for offers. He says it is in 'okay' condition and some parts are replaced recently.

Must say that for a Elise silver or black would be my favourite, but with a car like this Europa something primary would be my 1st pick.

A former work colleague of mine ran his Elise as his commuting car - he was fat and tall but had no difficulty driving the 80 mile commute everyday.

I kind of hope that for the Elise they will have available this accessory, but for bike >>>

504x_James_Bond_Lotus_T7.jpg

That Europa looks good value on Marketplats. Most Europas are of an age that all their problems have been ironed out. Most have replacement galvanized chassis fitted and the electrics would have been sorted years ago. Most of the mechanical parts are from regular cars and are easy to find at your local motor shop- only trim is specific but again most is available. A good local mechanic will be able to do annual services no problem. If any more serious work is required send it over to me- my workshops are just 20 minutes from the Ferry Terminal; you could put it on the boat in Amsterdam and I would be at the other side to take it off. I have this arrangement with several Dutch Saab and Alfa Giulia owners and it is not as expensive as you think. Parts for these cars are easy to find over in the UK and labour rates are good for my Retrobike friends!
If I were you I would go for the Europa. Its one of your childhood dream cars for starters, they are not expensive to run, fun to drive and are rising in value- you could own it for 5 years and sell it on for a profit!

Of you need any help just PM me.

Si

Why limit yourself to effectively to models of one marque?

There are lots of plastic money pits out there!

Seriously though wedge TVRs, Griffs, Westfields & Caterhams are all well with budget.

Sort of understand if it has to be a Lotus though... One of my life ambitions is to drive down Park Row in Leeds in an esprit adorned with skis!! Does the budget run to a Mark 1 Exige?

Tallpaul":2rjoxy6d said:
If you can afford it, go for the >2006 with the 134bhp Toyota engine. 0-60 in 6s but still 35mpg is possible.
is that the exige, get an exige...

Back