Lothian and Central rides thread

Re:

Sorry Velo, won't be able to join you as I'll be riding at er Glentress. Mentioned going to some friends but they want to stick to blues as they've not really ridden in years. Need to build their confidence as one is doing 10 under with me in 6 weeks time.

Memorise the trails though so you can show us round later in the summer :)

Re:

Excellent ZZ see you there.

Clubby, my works group is mixed ability, a couple are definitely blue grade only and one has only ever been on an mtb once in his life. I'll be taking charge of the blue graders and Dave the red graders. The group will split and rejoin at various points and no one will be forced to ride outwith their comfort zone so your pals would not be out of place. Daves promised coffee and cake at his post run aswell.

Heres a bit of gopro vid of the proposed return from the radio mast to Daves house.
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/406000/
It incorporates Zoom or Bust and we'll throw a fast loop of the green in just for laughs.
Two groups I reckon for discent, experienced fast riders off first and me with the novices second as there are bits that are not beginner friendly. Looks fun but I reckon it'll wear some brake pads out if your not confident with speed.

Re:

I must be getting old. I don't think I could ride that now :? Maybe the vid makes it look worse than it is.

Interesting that when he was going through the trees I found myself wondering , not for the first time , why really wide bars are the current fad . Then right on cue at 10:16 he catches the bars on a tree and comes down. I know that even riding old fashioned narrow bars for years I've had quite a few near misses when slicing through trees.

Re: Re:

Hawmaw":270mtymi said:
Interesting that when he was going through the trees I found myself wondering , not for the first time , why really wide bars are the current fad . Then right on cue at 10:16 he catches the bars on a tree and comes down. I know that even riding old fashioned narrow bars for years I've had quite a few near misses when slicing through trees.
Am with you on that :?

zigzag":1u5ovthz said:
First 2 mins of that are Ho Chi Minh. Arrghh, I want suspension!

Should be a good 'un.

Looks like an awesome trail, not retro friendly though, i think a long travel full susser would be essential to fully enjoy that, would love to do it on the DH8, probably crash my brains out mind :)

Wow, that's a smashing looking trail.

Def memorise these for the next time. Sorry I can't make this.

Re:

We met the guy who had filmed that bit of gopro footage quite by chance as Dave recognised the bike. The bikes a higher end version of exactly the same bike as Dave owns. As for the trails, they look worse than they are, 90% are rideable by most folk but to ride with style and speed you need to be Dave although ZZ did a reasonable job keeping up. There is a wee bit though that is rooty rocky hell where nerves of steel and loads of grip and bounce were required.........I walked that bit :oops:
Climbing as always is proper knackering and I would suggest the trails ridden are not retro friendly. My bike was modern but the forks were a bit too old school being over a decade old and I think they were twisting slightly under heavy disc braking as the brakes were making a horrible noise on the last steep descents. Tougher bigger stanchions methinks are required. All in all a grand day out, must do it again sometime.

Back