Looking for first project?

al":5b054u8u said:
Give him one of your old snotters, I'm sure he'll make something from it.

al.

'Old snotters' how dare you :evil: :LOL:

raidan73":3uc47him said:
al":3uc47him said:
Give him one of your old snotters, I'm sure he'll make something from it.

al.

'Old snotters' how dare you :evil: :LOL:

Jealousy mate, pure and simple!

Just glad you're a little shorter than me or I'd be really peeved.

al. ;)

What size are you after and are you interested in frames and parts only or after a complete bike?

Most of us will have stuff lurking we can let go but more details are needed ;)

Re:

Hello there

I’ve been squandering time and money on this for a couple of years now so here’s what I’d add:

- Work out what you want to do. Try your hand at building a vintage MTB? Recreate your childhood dream bike? Collect a genuine classic?

Get this question right then do some decent research. I made the mistake of getting carried away really quickly and spent too much (money and time) on what are essentially quite average bikes (GT LTS 2, Zaskar and Scott SuperLite).

With hindsight I’d have picked just one of these and used it to learn on.

Now I’m really into Fat City Cycles and would rather have just focussed on these earlier. I’d never heard of them when I started and then thought they were out of my league but actually if you take your time anything’s possible.

There is loads and loads of cheap mid to high end mass market stuff out there (Cannondales, GT’s, Gary Fisher's, Orange, Marin etc etc) and all of it means something to someone. Be aware if you pick something up for £100/£150 then replace the worn-out bits then up-grade here and there then get some trick NOS parts you’ve just learnt about on here you’ll have spent £500+ before you know it!

Not necessarily a bad thing unless it doesn’t answer your original question.

Also unless you’re brutal with your approach to value you will almost always lose money. A pile of parts is always worth more than a complete bike and any part that’s deemed disposable (chains, bottom brackets, tubes, brake blocks etc) is almost worthless as soon as it comes out of the packet. And your postage cost will add up too!

It’s all worth it though.

Enjoy!

I'd add, if it's your first project .. Buy a complete bike.
At least you'll then have a reference for all the important bits ...
Bottom bracket, headset etc etc.

I'll suggest ... DON'T DO IT!!

It's like your parents warned all those many years ago, about those shady/creepy drug dealers lurking around the perimeters of the school yard, trying to convince kids that they should "just try it once", as "you can quit at any time? ...

Its an addictive endeavor!

Back