Light Weight Shifters - Are They Out There?

Did the Paul Thumbie/Dura Ace 9-spd setup work on a 3x8 Shimano setup or what? I need details, ahhhhhh! I just ordered the thumbies a few days ago

The picture above shows Dura Ace downtube shifters with the thumbies.
The Paul thumbies, today on his website, says "works with bar end shifters Ultegra SL-BS64"

What is the meat and potatoes? I want the lighter of the two shifters if they both work! Thanks in advance!

Moved from an old FS thread to consolidate info!
I don’t know as I didn’t get round to using them - but guys on this thread know:

I don’t know as I didn’t get round to using them - but guys on this thread know:
Good thread. Went through the whole thing. Three questions:

For your specific solution you are attempting 3x9?
The Dura Ace SL-BS77 are part of the 2x9 groupo, have you seen any evidence that those can be used as 3x9?
Have you found a published weight (without) bar end adapters?

I am specifically interested in 3x8, but don't mind experimenting with road shifters outside their 2/3x8 specificion if a lighter shifter from 2x8 or 2x9 can be made to work on paper first.

The Dura Ace SL-BS77 are part of the 2x9 groupo, have you seen any evidence that those can be used as 3x9?

I am specifically interested in 3x8, but don't mind experimenting with road shifters outside their 2/3x8 specificion if a lighter shifter from 2x8 or 2x9 can be made to work on paper first.
to be honest I abandoned this and stuck with MTB LX M570 shifters.
So don't know. though guys on that thread do

I have the dura ace 9 speed bar end shifters mounted on a gravel bike and they do 2x or 3x as the front end is friction.

Have you considered going friction and running a set of Rivendell silver 1 or 2 shifters with the thumbie pods? I suspect that will be pretty light weight and I've heard very good things about the ratcheting action of those shifters.

I have the dura ace 9 speed bar end shifters mounted on a gravel bike and they do 2x or 3x as the front end is friction.

Have you considered going friction and running a set of Rivendell silver 1 or 2 shifters with the thumbie pods? I suspect that will be pretty light weight and I've heard very good things about the ratcheting action of those shifters.
Thanks for the post. Have have not considered Rivendell silver shifters because I have never heard of them :LOL: . But friction shifting is fine and I like it. The Paul thumbies I already bought for a Shimano setup: do you knkw of integration issues with mounting these Rivendell shifters to Paul thumbies?

I checked out there website and there is no mention of weight of the shifters or their mounts. They do look quite nice though.

Thanks for the post. Have have not considered Rivendell silver shifters because I have never heard of them :LOL: . But friction shifting is fine and I like it. The Paul thumbies I already bought for a Shimano setup: do you knkw of integration issues with mounting these Rivendell shifters to Paul thumbies?
Ya, I looked for the weights and couldn't find it either. Grant doesn't care about weight, but I bet if you emailed them they could tell you what the bits and pieces weigh. I believe the silver shifters do not work with the paul pods unfortunately. Rivendell sells the Paul pods and explicitly says they do not work with their silver shifter.

Another place to look for pods and shifters is Soma Fabrication and the IRD website.

https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/59...humb-shifters-set-5014?category=961#attr=3802 - 140 grams a pair

Ya, I looked for the weights and couldn't find it either. Grant doesn't care about weight.
To each their own 🙃 . I sent him an email. He does manufacture nice looking stuff though. I used your link and added a few more entries on pg. 2.

You are also right the silver shifters DO NOT work with Paul Thumbies. At the very bottom of the Silver Shifters page, juuuuust before the page footer there's a tiny note that states this fact. I was reading and reading and reading...the man likes to type. He's talking about direction, he's talking about how to pedal, he's talking about this and that and finally at the bottom in one sentence says they are not compatible :LOL: . At any rate, another option and his stuff looks pretty sweet.

To each their own 🙃 . I sent him an email. He does manufacture nice looking stuff though. I used your link and added a few more entries on pg. 2.

You are also right the silver shifters DO NOT work with Paul Thumbies. At the very bottom of the Silver Shifters page, juuuuust before the page footer there's a tiny note that states this fact. I was reading and reading and reading...the man likes to type. He's talking about direction, he's talking about how to pedal, he's talking about this and that and finally at the bottom in one sentence says they are not compatible :LOL: . At any rate, another option and his stuff looks pretty sweet.

I'm pretty sure Paul make specific adaptors for the Silver Shifters. They came up on one of my Ebay saved searches very recently.

[edit]
Here they are:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I'm pretty sure Paul make specific adaptors for the Silver Shifters. They came up on one of my Ebay saved searches very recently.
I wonder what they weigh? This solution involves the thumbie, shifters and adapters; one extra component. Nonetheless a cool solution to a problem. Doesn't look like Paul makes those anymore BUT I only invested a few minutes on his website having a look.

Back