Let this be a lesson. Loft issues.

Re:

Excellent stuff this! My loft is approx 2' from rafters to apex of roof. I don't keep much up there.

Upper floor rooms are approx 6' 2" ceiling height, apart from landing and shower room which approx 6' 8". I'm 6'4" and sleep upstairs LOL. Downstairs is "normal" in an Aberdeenshire rural kinda way.

On the other hand i can stand up in the roof space in the barn/garage =D

Oh crap, i'd better get that shed built pronto.
Bikes and records and computers and weights and a whole host of stuff that shouldn't be in the loft....

IMG_20160118_183008.jpg

dyna-ti":j8fh30cs said:
The History Man":j8fh30cs said:
Took fifteen years for it to finally crack.

And youve only been here for 4 years :p
Remarkably theres only a pile of tyres in the loft.

Plus a couple of thousand books, three or four complete hifi separates systems, 5 sets of golf clubs, fishing kit, camping........................

Re:

The volume of stuff in your loft isn't necessarily the problem, the density of what you have stored and how it is arranged is the critical thing to think about.
Anything dense like boxes of books, records or comics should be kept to a minimum; 1 or 2 boxes probably won't be an issue but lots of boxes stacked 3 high is more than likely going to be an issue sooner or later. Try and spread the load over as large an area as possible to prevent high point loads, don't have everything stacked in one corner and flooring boards screwed in to the ceiling joists will help with this.
If you apply a little bit of common sense to what you store in your loft and resist the urge to just keep chucking more and more up there then there shouldn't be an issue.

Re: Re:

Mr Panda":93yaokqo said:
Indeedy - so a bunch of old bicycles should be fine :D
Exactly, if they're all garage queen Kleins weighing 20-23lbs each with helium filled inner tubes then so much the better :LOL:

Btw, My day job is as a Civil/Structural engineer and i spent 5 years designing houses and flats so I know that these structures are designed for the bare minimum that British standards and building reg's allow. Therefore it's best to err on the side of caution when it comes to floor/roof loading in residential structures. We're all guilty of chucking stuff in the loft and forgetting about it; out of sight out of mind (until it comes crashing through the ceiling in the middle of the night that is :LOL: ).

I now reckon I should move my 100kg sawbench out from the middle of the floor. :LOL:

Look out below.:LOL:

Re: Re:

Mr Panda":2x13edmj said:
Excellent stuff this! My loft is approx 2' from rafters to apex of roof. I don't keep much up there.

Upper floor rooms are approx 6' 2" ceiling height, apart from landing and shower room which approx 6' 8". I'm 6'4" and sleep upstairs LOL. Downstairs is "normal" in an Aberdeenshire rural kinda way.

On the other hand i can stand up in the roof space in the barn/garage =D
So you have a low stack height loft. :)

Back