l'eroica pedals

I worry that a modern day rider, unhappy with the idea of toe clips and straps, might choose the Cinellis thinking he'd be safer in them than in straps. Those M71s weren't nicknamed 'death cleats' for nothing.

Re:

These are the shoes that were on offer in a comp. at Eroica Brit. luckily I found a nos pair in the jumble section, a very fetching size 10 in brilliant red ( oh I say :shock: '' no place like home'' ) and they are very comfortable and wide, though since they were like new the soles were like mirror shiny causing a scary moment of my feet slipping out whilst really cranking it uphill and me jewels narrowly missing the crossbar :oops: now courtesy of the local trad. cobbler some extra sole was added for grip with the added bonus of extra stiffness so I can now look forward to a attempt at neutering myself using another method.
http://www.williamlennon.co.uk/footwear ... -shoe.html

Re:

Ffor those of you worried about pedals etc ,there is something rather more sinister to think about. Much of the press etc tried to reflect the more accurate portrayal of a period with little concern for accuracy.
All those bikes, many of them classic British, lovely, ridden by trendies with big beards.
Oh yes, they all wanted to pretend to be some 1920's hero but you didn't see many beards about I the 50's and 60's. Maybe some brylcream?
Please, get it right.
Thinking about shoes.... I bet a large proportion of club riders in the 50's and 60's didn't wear cycle specific shoes unless racing. Why not go the club rider way and get a pair of black leather soled shoes/brogues and nail the plates on? Just a thought for the bigger footed of you out there.

Re:

Exactly! To the pic above.
Maybe Looks were about but how would you know a '85 from a 89?
I would have said no clipless to stop this silly row.
Am I the only one who think that generally bikes looked their best in the downtube levers but hidden brake cables era?Lots of silver sparkly bits.
Were trikes allowed by the way?

:eek: :LOL: the annual debate

can't beat PP75's, still the coolest (a proud vetern of 65's and 75's)

i actually enjoyed going back to clips and straps for my journey to italy but there were lots of people riding looks at i'eroica when i was there, just make sure your jersey is woolen to qualify for the hamper. not a great fan of sportives, but i'eroica is superb

Re: Re:

joe careless":237vuoh9 said:
the Liverpool century club early 1950's

Eeeh, I remember some of those guys. Especially Ossie Dover, 'The Cycling Tailor', maker of excellent cycling shorts and plus fours.

Strange that he's wearing some khaki shorts in the photo.................................... ;)

rrarider":2nz4zixe said:
I worry that a modern day rider, unhappy with the idea of toe clips and straps, might choose the Cinellis thinking he'd be safer in them than in straps. Those M71s weren't nicknamed 'death cleats' for nothing.

My M71s earlier on this thread, sold to a"bearded trendy"some years ago for Italian L'Eroica.

The rules are arbitrary, but they are the rules. I wish they weren't, as the Looks were used by Hinault (he was a director of Look) in 1985, and the Renault team, riding Gitanes, in 1984 had machines with cables under the bar tape.

I'll be riding in two European events next year, one attracts"trendies", one does not - yet!

Rk.

Back