leather for saddle covering

You need to use goat skin. Clear Bostik adhesive is easy to work with & gives very good results. I've recovered about 6 saddles in the past couple of years using grain side & suede/flesh side up.

lots of good info here, thanks! now just need to find something suitable... I have 3 or 4 saddles ready for recovering!

Apparently the thickest supple section of human skin is the upper back.

No it’s fine. No need.

Knowing nowt about upholstering a bike saddle I'll chuck in my extra penny on saying take note of which glue you intend on using.

My limited knowledge of upholstering is from furniture upholstering and its all about pulling the fabric taut and even and then staple/pinning the edge to hold the shape.
Contact glues might not allow any repositioning, which would make it difficult to get evenly tight :?. maybe look to something with a less permanent bond, and its the pulling and smoothing the fabric around the contours before pinning it that holds the shape.

Agreed with the above - you can buy repositionable contact adhesive. I use the ordinary sort but take a lot of time. The worst bit is the saddle nose, getting it to stretch round that is hardest. Typically I find a slightly stretched part of the hide to use for the nose.

Back