Lava Dome newbie, RetroBike Newbie, MTB newbie, forum newb..

Spray or Keep Original???

• Spray

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep Original

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd stick with P2s aswell but I remember seeing some grips somewhere which had a platform of rubber to the back of the grip - helps with grip but also a little padding for wrist abuse.

if you ever find them again i'd really appreciate the link, thanks for the tip and i'll have a look into it.

If it were from another year then respray. But that was one of the best years for Kona colour schemes in my opinion! :D

...it seems to be pretty conclusive at the mo... 8 to 1 in favour of 'keep original'

I really appreciate all your thoughts

Unfortunately, although the paint was good on 93 Konas, it was the last year when the frames were not 'suspension-adjusted'. Which means that if you wanted to fit a suspension fork, any year from 1994 onwards would have been better!

Fortunately the fork on the bike is the lighter (and classic) triple-butted form of the P2, which is the perfect match for the frame and not at all hard on the hands. My advice would be to see how you go with the P2s for a while - I'm not minimising your injuries, but it's inevitable that you'll find it punishing to begin with after such a long layoff.

But then if in the end you decide you have to have suspension, I would advise selling that bike and buying a slightly later one instead. OK, it's a bit of trouble, but the cost wouldn't be much different. Lava Domes make decent money quite easily, because there's always somebody out there thinking 'damn, I wish I'd never sold my Lava Dome'.

Last thing is, are you sure you need a new hub? That's a pile of trouble and expense - wouldn't new grease and bearings do the trick? There's a few people from Brighton on here (but I'm from Hove, actually) that could maybe help you out if any help needed.

Thanks Anthony, sound advice there, again very much appreciated. It seems it's quite a cool community on here, very friendly and helpful.

I'll go with your suggestion of trying out the p2's for a while. I was given the bike by one of my best buddies and as of yet i haven't taken it out due to a flat tyre and the rear hub slipping.

If the hub is slipping would grease and new bearings resolve that problem?

Back