Lava Dome newbie, RetroBike Newbie, MTB newbie, forum newb..

Spray or Keep Original???

• Spray

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep Original

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
...yeah i totally agree although i do like the idea of starting from scratch, making something like new again.

Will you be posting some pics of yours on here when finished Craig?

Hi I have a project exactly the same as this! just checked the shed to see if it was still in there...lol

I was going to have mine resprayed in original colours but not so sure now, also i have aquired period xt groupset of some very nice and helpful people off here but not sure if i'm going to put them on now... :?

Hmmm what to do???

ps, keep the P2's on it!! S Forks will only add weight and make ur wrists work hader... see if you can get ur hands on some vulkan wrist supports.

Here's a pic of my KLD before i stripped it down and lost the awfull brake thingy... what was i thinking :LOL:

Attachments

• Kona pic1.jpg
    Kona pic1.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 748
RobSpecail222":x9p6n9z9 said:
Hi I have a project exactly the same as this!

....Wahey! another '93 Lava Dome, looks in good condition too. It is hard to decide what to do, i want to do the right thing for the bike. So far i'm definitely not going to respray and the forks are staying on.

I think all the suggestions of different types of grips and supports etc should do the trick for the wrists, im looking forward to getting out on it.

My only hurdle is sorting the 'slipping' out. I've just been out for an early ride this morning with the mate who gave me the bike. I mentioned my thoughts on the worn crankset, chain etc.

He rode the bike for a while and still thinks it's the hub. When you push down hard it seems like the hub almost free wheels, catches up with itself, as though there's no traction there and then it kicks in/re-bites.

It's all a mystery to me but i'll get it sorted one way or another.

Enjoy your project and of course the Kona!

PS i had seen your pic before and wondered WTF that brake thing was!! what is it???

For speed. and a better,more even finish,a respray- otherwise :LOL: Get yourself a big tub of t-cut ,and get on with it :LOL:
Do any touch-up's first then t-cut the whole thing -then loads of polishing
It's a very labour intensive process but worth it.. if you're mad :shock:

Just my two cents worth but.......

I'd go the touch up route. Halfrauds sell an amazing array of paints or for a few quid will mix a paint to match.

I did this recently with a lava dome and the colour match was excellent.

The bike looks almost original. I think I paid £5 for the can and its metallic

;)

P1010013-1.jpg

P1010015-1.jpg

yup, defo keep it original paint with p2's. i'm in the very long & drawn out process of re-building my '94 lava dome as i had it when i was 16.

good to hear halfrauds can match the paint:

letmetalktomark":2khhu6d7 said:
I did this recently with a lava dome and the colour match was excellent.

did you just do some touching up then? i want to keep my original colour as i love it but the chainstay really needs some work

albash82":ki17uw9r said:
did you just do some touching up then?

The frame had quite a bit of wear from rubbing around the headset, upper and lower chainstays, inner chainstays and from a crud catcher.

I just masked off the areas I didn't want to touch and went to town :LOL:

As the areas were chipped I just layered up the paint in stages.

The photo's below show some of the damage although most of it was hidden by stickers:

P1010002-4.jpg

24072008013.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back