Kona Lava Dome 1992

stocko

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Seen this advertised not to far from me last week and have been thinking about getting a "rider" to go alongside my Pace "wallhanger" build im currently doing.
So i messaged the guy selling and after a few questions i was off to collect this near original kona.
It has lots of dirt/cobwebs etc but will be stripped and rebuilt as the perfect rider 20240105_135814.jpg 20240105_135824.jpg 20240105_135836.jpg 20240105_135901.jpg

Last edited:
Very original. Even has Joe’s cage and looks like Joe’s toeclips.
Looks like it will scrub up well.

Hopefully it'll turn out ok. Yes its virtually all original...apart from rear tyre,big chainring and saddle. The guy i got it from owned it from 1995 and he got it from a friend who had it from new,said it was hardly used but storage had made it filthy and has got the odd scrapes and rusty bits. In 2 minds as to what to do with this..
1:- try and save/restore paint and parts
or
2:- get repainted and new decals

As this will be a rider,i would change saddle,tyres and pedals anyway.

Lets strip it down and see what the condition everything is in then make a plan!

Last edited:
I would start with option 1, then ride it, see what you think and then decide if you want to repaint it

Great find, looking at it what it needs is to go to my Kona Sanctuary 😁, i'm kidding i'm kidding 😂🤣
Get the frame stripped down and give it a good clean, t cut and a really good polish and it'll come up a treat, the paint on the early Konas is pretty hard wearing. Give the parts a good degrease and some autosol polish and the bike will be as good as new again 👍

Yes it's very original and indeed its still has a complete combo cage and joes toe clips. I've stripped the whole bike down today and even the front maximum tyre is in good cond. From what was a grubby marketplace buy has turned out to be quite a rare gem

Reactions: JCS
Looks great. I wouldn't be repainting that. Looking forward to some pics after cleaning.
Ive stripped the bike now so will deep clean the frame,touch up the marks,cut and polish and see how it comes up!

Last edited:
Back