Kona Kapu 1994 - pastures new

Re: Kona Kapu 1994 - out on the roads (P7)

...and I'll take 20% commission on any sale!!

IF I had one, I'd want to swap out the black parts for silver. I think it would look far more elegant and suit the ethos of a steel framed bike. Do you know if they'll do a frame and forks only option?

Re:

Kona use a discount model.. Won't be that pricey for long.

Any more pics of yours...

Can't believe ai have only just stumbled across this thread way to go Al! Great bike and even better story.

Thanks mate! In the new year I'll be taking her down to Brighton for a little frame TLC; she is an absolute joy to ride and goes like stink.

<Still want a 1997 one though>

There's a '96 Kapu just shown up in Road For Sale - more my size that yours unfortunately, unless you are willing to lose about 6 inches of leg?

Bit steep imo too. But thats my admittedly inexpert opinion - so I'd defer to yours on it. Next to an Orange dynamo or a Jake its the road bike I'd choose - but already have a road-ish project on the go for the last year!

Long overdue update on this. Two years on and we've covered a lot of mileage be it out all over Kent or as a cover for my commuter whilst it's being fixed or serviced. The latest stint was 2 weeks on the commute and it never fails to remind me just how quick it is. It shaves 5-7 minutes off the normal average time and let's face it, it's the coolest bike out there ;-)

On the longer routes I struggle a little with the riding position but mixing it up and not staying on the hoods all the time helps. I can happily 'cruise' and still beat most folks on their modern carbon machines.

The rear mech drop out mis-alignment needs to be addressed soon as the wobble when I put the power down is notable and whilst not an issue cycling, can't be good long term for the frame of the wheel.

Anyway, here she is all clean. I'll ditch the tyres soon. They've been great but there're as protective from sharp object as cling film.

Rrdnyo.jpg

pEyJ9T.jpg

Oh and if you ever see a 1997 version please get in touch!

Re: Kona Kapu 1994 - ace (P:cool:

I've only just found this thread after all this time :facepalm: :oops: but i'm over the moon for you now i've read your story about getting this " well gorgeous " Kapu and i have really found the comments on here a real delight to read :cool: .

Any how glad to see you've still got this little gem up and running and not hanging on the living room wall and i hope sorting out the rear mech drop out doesn't take to long either as i'm pretty eager to read a proper good update on it's ride over a fair distance mate .

As for riding with your hands on the brake hoods well that's a nice position for cruising but down on the drops is were you really want to be doing a good ol sprint and enjoying the air rushing past ya ;) ..

Ian ..

Re:

Upon long time looking - I stumbled across this gem of a thread. I have currently a Kona Kapu - seems to be 95' if your research proves correct. I think the rear cassette has been changed from stock (12-24) to a 13-26, yet still 8sp. My hunch is it is a 9sp cassette with 8sp spacers and is missing a cog but I can't be certain.
I am currently experiencing some major issues which have been grating on my nerves. I think my 39t front drive is becoming worn enough that it is skipping teeth mid-stroke. Dangerous. Further, the rear derailleur is starting to change on its own to more difficult gears when I 'really get on it'. The latter is tolerable, but the former is really really irritating. I'd like to change out the front 39t to start I think.

Anyways, if you have any recommendations or perhaps have any extra 8sp veloce parts for my beloved kapu, I would really appreciate the insight!

17634489_1605472272814895_4515502011228117837_n.jpg

17554464_1605472262814896_6665026205773094895_n.jpg

17554112_1605472266148229_522395947436914848_n.jpg

Back