Kona Kapu 1994 - pastures new

Re: Kona Kapu 1994 - finished pics P6

Awesome. My size. Want. I think I'm harbouring a collection of road-bikes-by-mountain-bike-manufacturers bug...

Ok, this is it. Tomorrow I am taking my first ride on her. It'll be the first time I've put a leg over a road bike for over 15 years. Pray for me and Kapu :)

al-onestare":nk1m5o4s said:
Ok, this is it. Tomorrow I am taking my first ride on her. It'll be the first time I've put a leg over a road bike for over 15 years. Pray for me and Kapu :)

Enjoy every bit of it!

parfumisme":1vjmiiia said:
al-onestare":1vjmiiia said:

Enjoy every bit of it!

Thank you, I did!

I'm curious to know how she handles and rides compared to a modern machine but also similar aged steel frames. With the short stays, to my novice road bike sense, it rode very much like my Kona mountain bikes; it was very rapid on the climbs and accelerates very easily.

I did a short 22 miler and I couldn't believe how quick I completed the circuit; just over 80 minutes and that was with some crappy congestion getting back into BR1.

Position wise my back held up but I definitely need to up the stem height; getting used to the braking position is the hardest bit. Shifting was great and smooth and there were no squeaks or creaks (other than my knees) so at least I put it back together ok!

I can see the attraction of road cycling, especially since I commute everyday on a 1.25 26" wheeled Cinder Cone. It eats up the miles and it doesn't feel like I'm grinding or spinning at such a high pedal rate. On the flip side, that's why I'll always prefer mountain biking; it's just a bit more interesting ;-)

Re:

Like a man making for fire for the first time, I'm slowly getting used to big wheels and big gears. The extended weekend and glorious weather meant I could get 2 rides in back to back, both based in the same area but the second longer and more hilly so I could really stretch my legs.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/workout/557659149

I'm no slouch commuting every day but this bike (and experience) continues to surprise me with just how quickly the miles disappear. I knocked over 25 minutes off my previous best on my slick tyred Cinder Cone (by the way I'll still use that day to day as it's hard wearing).

I'm becoming more confident pedalling out of the saddle. It's a very different experience and balancing act. With a much more light and bigger framed bike, I have to make sure I don't swing it from side to side too much and make sure it's more controlled. Adjusting the stem height by a few mm has made a big difference so I can get a much better grip on the hoods for braking and shifting. Shifting wise I made a complete balls up the hill into Biggin Hill so had to quickly skirt back to the bottom and get it in gear properly but surprised myself by making it up without any drama's. Even Church Hill and it's crazy gradient was beaten...just...there were a few Tommy Voeckler faces pulled.

zb39o.jpg

jdgu.jpg

Most pleasingly, I can keep up with the real lyrca / carbon machines on the flats but on the climbs, I rinse them. Not everyone since there are plenty of proper athletes on the roads here, but regular exercise and MTB climbs really has helped the legs power on.

The bike is a monster - for any MTB'ers thinking of toying with a road bike - get one (as long as it's a retrobike).

Re: Kona Kapu 1994 - out on the roads (P7)

Another sunny day, another ride, this time out to Sevenoaks and back. When I have a bit more time I'll extend it out to Tonbridge. Once again, she was a joy to ride and I feel a lot more confident cycling out of the saddle. Everything is coming together; smarter shifting, braking and positioning. Very happy with yesterdays average speed which even with the some mini-slogs was a lot of fun.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/workout/600084291

Got the token TDF dual coloured arms now. I'm having to use her for 3 days this week for the commute as the Cinder Cone's rear wheel is shot. Again, the difference in cruising speed is ridiculous. Lots of fun!

Re: Kona Kapu 1994 - out on the roads (P7)

Indeed! ;-)

Reynolds tubing and in red, it looks a corker. Interested to see what the price is...and if the build quality is better than the Itailian framed Kapu's from a few years ago.

Re:

Retail is quite steep at 1899 euro.however, I live that high end steel still has a place at a contemporary bike brand. It'll be a geat all round sportif / commuter or even light adventure bike i recon. The only thing id upgrade to is a handbuild box section wheelset with decent hubs. Unfortunalely that put it out of reach for most of my customers. Ill show them your bike as an example and i may be able to pursuade them!

Latest posts

Back