Can anyone help me ID this older Kona road bike model?

I received this information from Kona with regard to the bike:

Hi, that does look like a 1994-95 Haole to me also. Unfortunately all that info was never online and mostly lost due to software changes or cleanup of old file cabinets.

I’m thinking 1994 due to the silver decal and no model name. Back then the bikes would only show up in the catalog, the catalog would be shot just about now to make sure they were printed in time for the fall trade shows.

The custom bikes would change and evolve between the photo shoots so there can be models that completely missed being publicized.

Gorgeous looking frame and a gem of a serial number. Museum worthy!

I agree! I'll do my best to treat the minor rusting around the frame, then put some worthy parts on it. I'll try and make another post once I've finished with it.

I also received a bit more info from Kona about the Haole program at the time:

The steel and Ti Haole frames were part of our custom program then.
Tom E Teesdale was building Hot frames for us already, so he took on he Haole too (the Ti Haole came from Sandvik).
There for sure were not many of those made. I’ve only ever seen 2 of the steel version in Canada. That was in the mid-90s.

Kona really are excellent at this sort of stuff; acknowledging and celebrating their past, but with a firm eye on the hear and now. Top work for finding out this info.

I agree! I'll do my best to treat the minor rusting around the frame, then put some worthy parts on it. I'll try and make another post once I've finished with it.

you should do a project thread on it and post here

That is great.

I knew there wouldn't be many about, thats 4 now that are known of, assuming the 2 in Canada are not the same as the 2 on here. Would be interesting to know over how many years they were made, and whether the serials were started fresh each year. I have a TET 001 frame but think it was the second years run. They were made in a batch too instead of by order, interested to know which Kona chose.

From memory didn't his son take over for a period of time? maybe he has a record somewhere of the Kona builds?

Last edited:
Kona really are excellent at this sort of stuff; acknowledging and celebrating their past, but with a firm eye on the hear and now. Top work for finding out this info.
I agree, they've been fantastic about all my questions. I love digging into bike history so it's right up my alley
you should do a project thread on it and post here
I would love to. Once I get my hands on the parts I have in mind, I'll do so.
From memory didn't his son take over for a period of time? maybe he has a record somewhere of the Kona builds?
Would anyone here happen to have his contact info? The Facebook page and Instagram page haven't been updated in many years so I didn't think to reach out.

Back