Kona Kapu 1994 - pastures new

Re: Kona Kapu 1994 - epic unicorn

In my defence I did suggest that red tyres and cables wouldn't be my preference.

:LOL: True - the cables were my preference - trying to keep it colourful and it's certainly better then Peugeot pink/purple ;)

Fantastic story, I love a good retrobike story like yours where someone perseveres for years and are finally rewarded, far more satisfying than just getting the cheque book out. I think half the thrill of this hobby ( addiction ) is the constant searching and the final eureka moment when that dream bike finally comes along.
Sat here reading this with a big grin on my face, congrats that looks a cracking bike.
I've just bought my first road bike for over 20 years, had a brief look for an old Kona but no joy, now I know why !
What's the Pendle Witch ride you mention ?

Wow, great story. Thanks for sharing. It's dangerous though... I'm now tempted to see if I can find a 1998 Sunn road bike to go with my mountain bike.

I'm well and truly embarrassed to say that's the first time I have heard of that ride despite it going right past my own bloody house :oops: :LOL:
There's some proper lung busting climbs, far too much for my chubby legs :LOL:

So took her apart yesterday with no big drama's. No stuck cassettes or cranks which was a relief. One question though; how do you get the brake hoods off? I need to give the shifting mechanism a proper clean and re-lube and I can't seen any obvious, easy way to removing the hoods. It was tricky enough peeling them back over the down-shift levers to get to the allen key restraining bar bolts.

Answers on a postcard to roadie-newb :oops:

Good one. IMHO you have a Kona with the best looking decals.

Nice story - seek & destroy the mantra on this one and you've done well finding your ride. Looks a tidy piece of kit.

I've generally dismissed Kona as a road bike manufacturer, but after seeing the Haole, I have to say that looked a class act and included a Mavic Zap system as standard - must one of the few bikes that came with laced up with that system.

As for brake hoods - roll them back, if they dont stay use heavy duty elastic bands to hold them in place so you can get the gubbins - they aren't great for getting on & off, especially if the suppleness has gone out of them.

Back