Kona Explosif.... One foot in the grave? .... SHES ALIVE !!!

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":1sez5562 said:
Nice work on the decals! :cool:

Did you use white spirit for stickiness removal?

I used Panel wipe. The top tube was easy, the seat stem took a fair bit of work ;)

Re: Kona Explosif.... One foot in the grave !?

Muddy paw":azyndz06 said:
enc":azyndz06 said:
Cheers mate. Yeah it's looking a bit fresher now though with the purchase of the humbrol touch up paint (£1.8o) My plan of making this a zero budget build have been thwarted :facepalm: . Oh yeah, I need to buy some bottom bracket bearings too .. That shouldn't brake the bank.

Anyone know how long these enamel model paint take to dry? It's taking an age.

That's a fair price for the paint as i'm pretty certain it's the £2.20 mark down the road from me :shock: and drying time will take at least 12 hours to be properly dry depending on thickness of the paint tbh as i once did a full frameset by hand back in the eighties and i left it a full 24 hours before i was happy enough with the drying but i did put a fair bit on but the the results were amazing as it shone like glass and still looked wet when it were dry and no their wasn't any brush marks on the paint finish :eek: ..

Paint was £1.80 from Bolton Model Mart ... http://www.bmmracing.co.uk/

its still not 100 percent dry ... been over 24 hours now :? TBF, there are 3 coats. the frame has faded to a different degree in different parts so the paint match goes from quite good to nothing like :roll: :LOL: at least it wont rust any further

mamadirt":5xslu4v0 said:
What have you used to polish the frame - just T-cut? Looks awesome :cool:

Be interested to know how the Humbrol holds up too. I generally retouch with acrylic paint (water-based so it's pretty easy to blend and get a good colour match) but it's a burger to shine up afterwards.

Thank you. i used Meguiars #105 ultra cut compound.

see comment above re applying paint :) once its fully cured ill cut it to smooth it and give the whole frame a polish and sealant coat.

enc":3fjasdym said:
Muddy paw":3fjasdym said:
enc":3fjasdym said:
Cheers mate. Yeah it's looking a bit fresher now though with the purchase of the humbrol touch up paint (£1.8o) My plan of making this a zero budget build have been thwarted :facepalm: . Oh yeah, I need to buy some bottom bracket bearings too .. That shouldn't brake the bank.

Anyone know how long these enamel model paint take to dry? It's taking an age.

That's a fair price for the paint as i'm pretty certain it's the £2.20 mark down the road from me :shock: and drying time will take at least 12 hours to be properly dry depending on thickness of the paint tbh as i once did a full frameset by hand back in the eighties and i left it a full 24 hours before i was happy enough with the drying but i did put a fair bit on but the the results were amazing as it shone like glass and still looked wet when it were dry and no their wasn't any brush marks on the paint finish :eek: ..

Paint was £1.80 from Bolton Model Mart ... http://www.bmmracing.co.uk/

its still not 100 percent dry ... been over 24 hours now :? TBF, there are 3 coats. the frame has faded to a different degree in different parts so the paint match goes from quite good to nothing like :roll: :LOL: at least it wont rust any further

I think i'd rather pay the higher price tbh as it would cost me a small fortune to get their plus theirs the issue of me being able to get a colour match for what i need so local is best for me ..

Well the time i stated for drying was for a single coat of paint so it's no wonder it's taking so long for yours to dry ..

That's the trouble with old paint work as you just don't realise how bad the fading is until you come to match it up but at least it will look a lot neater now and help keep the rust at bay ;) ..

Re:

I liked this bike so much, I've just had mine painted in the same colours ;) viewtopic.php?f=6&t=335114

I had it done in RAL5022 which is dark blue heading to purple. It isn't as purple as your bike was but looks close enough. The new paint really makes it pop.

Good luck with the build you're doing a cracking job.

SP

Re: Re:

Splatter Paint":19koo258 said:
I liked this bike so much, I've just had mine painted in the same colours ;) viewtopic.php?f=6&t=335114

I had it done in RAL5022 which is dark blue heading to purple. It isn't as purple as your bike was but looks close enough. The new paint really makes it pop.

Good luck with the build you're doing a cracking job.

SP

Cheers :D

so its been a while :shock: ... embarrassingly, id forgotten how the chain rings went back together :oops: :LOL: sussed it in the end ...

mETNWFt.jpg

3BOlf9Z.jpg

cleaned up a treat ...

G8V251C.jpg

Greased the front hub ...

I1ehxjr.jpg

and cleaned ...

lnP5W0d.jpg

Rear hub still on the to do list :D

uNlpS1N.jpg

Weird effect going on with the stem ... looks like tiny splinters under the coating :| :shock:

HD0Ai2T.jpg

TJDREDy.jpg

Still pretty much close to original plan of zero budget :D though i may have to buy new brake cables and definitely new grips and a chain...

QRmjZib.jpg

YIfDmJ8.jpg

09bJK46.jpg

Welcome back!
The bike looks great, keep it up!

enc":2knfcl9f said:
Dare":2knfcl9f said:
Welcome back!
The bike looks great, keep it up!

How's the Brodie ?

Brodie is in pieces being unused because I focused on building and riding my 29er. I will soon get it up and running with some "newer" components as I feel it is not as capable and useful in his retromode as is in more modern mode.

Latest posts

Back