Kona Explosif.... One foot in the grave? .... SHES ALIVE !!!

Re:

Cheers, under the front mech band should be un-faded. I'm considering powder coating my 1993 Explosif in RAL 5002, but I think your frame was originally closer to purple than blue.

Re: Kona Explosif.... One foot in the grave !?

Yes you can swap those type off BBs for more modern ones. Measure shell size (68 or 73mm) and axel length.

I believe that leftside cup is 36mm spanner if I remeber correctly and it can be SoB to unscrew.

Re:

Yes stick a 122.5 / 68, shell UN55 in there if needed and keeping that chainset.

What is fitted, if original whic it probably is, is a Deore DX one and has some greasesealer thing

Re: Re:

Splatter Paint":ajre5apw said:
Cheers, under the front mech band should be un-faded. I'm considering powder coating my 1993 Explosif in RAL 5002, but I think your frame was originally closer to purple than blue.

yes, originaly it was closer to purple. its closer to Ral 5002 now :LOL:

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":3ez2nk2y said:
Yes stick a 122.5 / 68, shell UN55 in there if needed and keeping that chainset.

What is fitted, if original whic it probably is, is a Deore DX one and has some greasesealer thing

grease sealer ? there are 3 individual rubber o rings on each side and what appears to be a "fixed" rubber seal inboard of those. also, there's a grease nipple on the underside of the BB shell.

Re:

bit more progress this afternoon ...

spot the fade :shock: :(

Lock ring wouldnt budge ..dosed in penetrating fluid... ill have another shot tomorrow..

Oldschool Panaracer Smoke on the rear ...the rim is caked in dried on grey alloy gloop that forms from wet aluminium brake contact :( i'll try to remove with paraffin.

Powder coat lifting on handlebars....

Easily removed with wire brush drill attachment

Tomorrow...

etch primer
primer
satin black to finish.

finished pics tomorrow.

Stem coating a different problem altogether.... wire brush drill attachment wouldn't touch the rust :shock: ill try p80 tomorrow or maybe use the stem from the cindercone which is in much better condition.

Re:

Bottom Bracket. That's the fixed cup you are trying in the picture, do the other side first, it is easiest with the proper tools. But hammer nd screwdriver will undo the lockring, then hammer and something pointy and tap the cup out bit by bit.

Big headset spanner/adjustable/vice for the fixed cup. Oddly it's so much easier with the proper fixed cup full ring tool. I find the adjustable cannot get the power down without slipping and holding and swearing and mines a big adjustable.

Back