Kona Explosif.... One foot in the grave? .... SHES ALIVE !!!

Re: Kona Explosif.... One foot in the grave !?

It can be cleaned, but first take a very good look inside the frame.
When it is this corroded it has been outside for a loooong time...

Re: Kona Explosif.... One foot in the grave !?

All parts are there; this is totally worth the time and little bit of money! Just take it slowly, I would clean everything and give all those small parts new coat of paint to bring it closest to new as possible.

Re:

wish I had bid on it, a quick clean up and off you go.

All metal looking bottom bracket, just use the tools to take it off, clean and check the races are good and refit.

Re:

Strip down has begun .... thanks all for the positive vibes :cool:

removed wheels
removed rear mech
removed cranks
removed pedals ... they put up a decent scrap but i won in the end :twisted:

Next on the agenda...

remove brakes (2 x straddle bridge cables just ordered)
remove stem
remove handlebars (assess what to do paint/polish/replace?)
Remove brake/gear shifters (clean/paint as required)
Remove headset

Im guessing its just a matter of loosening this allen bolt and removing the ring ?

I wanted to avoid removing the race cups but do want to remove the rubber boot fitted over the bottom cup.
is it possible to stretch it over the bottom cup without damaging the rubber or is it cup off job ?

Bottom bracket is old school type !?? not done one of these since the old days (late 1800's :oops: :LOL: )
any tips for removal/repair?.... there's slight play in it

Re:

Take the stem out, slacken the bolt in the top of the headset a long way then undo by hand. I'd bin the BB after it comes out! Can you take a shot of the un-faded colour, please? I'm try to match to a RAL colour.

SP

Re:

yes just undo the allen bolt and unscrew the cup and lockring.
then tap the cups out. the plastic cover acts as a seal iirc.

bottom bracket, well what tools do you have.
loosen the lockring, unscrew the cup, take the axle and bearings out. take the fixed cup (one you see in the picture) out too. cheack all bearing surface, throw away if pitted.

these might help
viewtopic.php?t=53227

Re: Re:

Splatter Paint":2k9hfbw4 said:
Take the stem out, slacken the bolt in the top of the headset a long way then undo by hand. I'd bin the BB after it comes out! Can you take a shot of the un-faded colour, please? I'm try to match to a RAL colour.

SP

pretty much the only part that hasn't faded is what you see in the BB picture above.... even that's probably faded from original !?
i can take another pic once cleaned/cut/polished if its of any use to you.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":2wfqeetv said:
yes just undo the allen bolt and unscrew the cup and lockring.
then tap the cups out. the plastic cover acts as a seal iirc.

bottom bracket, well what tools do you have.
loosen the lockring, unscrew the cup, take the axle and bearings out. take the fixed cup (one you see in the picture) out too. cheack all bearing surface, throw away if pitted.

these might help
viewtopic.php?t=53227

cheers FC :D

i have one of those 44 pcs bike tool set's from ebay :oops: pretty sure it has big mama spanners in there :LOL: do these type BBs tend to stick like the cartridge BB's? can they be swapped out for cartridge BBs if necessary ?

edit: thanks for the link ... removal info i need there :mrgreen:

Back