Kona - Explosif 1997

Re:

I've found you can get away with 80mm on a large frame, 19 or 20" on the 97's, but anything smaller and it starts to look a bit silly and I assume handle poorly.

Nice thread resurrection!

I've got 80mm travel Pro Class II's on a 17" 1997 Explosif and they're absolutely fine TBH. I wouldn't go any longer than that though.

These are '80mm' (well 72 as they are some posh air fork) but it will take 100mm no problem, just shorten you stem. That's all Kona did until the early 00s.

This currently sits with a new 100mm stem to see what difference is from 110mm and a steel bottom bracket as the Ti eventually died, it is isis after all.
Seat I'd a charge spoon and quite nice for the riding it gets used for (which is everything).
Front wheel has been changed as I crushed the front end into a parking barrier. Must check which I actually put on it after my move. All stickers came off as I wait for people on rides and needs cleaning up and the new stickers going on. Grips are some cheap lockons and not the comfiest but better for the winter nights.

Back