Kona Explosif 1997 team edition

Re:

Great work Al yet again another build thread and research that makes this site worth visiting!

looking forward to the next update :cool:

kyle

Re: Kona Explosif 1997 team edition: building & collecting

The collecting part phase went into overdrive this week so the bank balance is squealing like a badly set up disc.

It's all good though with just the bars and grips left to source minus the usual sundries. Brakes, mechs, tyres and the most fabulous saddle are all sorted. Once everything has arrived it'll be building time and more pictures.

The last few weeks have been pretty amazing.

I've been fortunate to find the vast majority of the parts needed and that cumulated yesterday with a wicked haul of components arriving all at once from across the world including something from our man running this site. Big up Control!

Gathering information about this bike has extended deep and wide: taking in the era, the racing and the pivotal shift in the industry at this time. A lot of what I've learnt and who I've had the pleasure to speak with and continue to speak with will stay with me. It's personal. However there are a few theories we can quash once and for all and when the bike is finished I think that would be a good time to go into that in a little more detail.

I won't be a total prick-tease. I managed to uncover the mother-load of photographic evidence of the team bikes in action. Not this specific model, but the infamous - nee famous - Hei Hei's and with Roland, Seamus, Lesley and a certain bright eyed-bushy tailed bleach blonde future Giro winner. Here's 2 cracking shots, 1 of which showing again that the slime green Z2's were the right choice.

hpONLL.jpg

xAS9sh.jpg

There'll be some building this weekend, not the final one, but it'll look even more like the finished article. Thanks again to everyone who's helped with this.

Re:

Once again I can say that I am super pleased to see this frame’s build come together. The commitment that appears to be driving Al’s enthusiasm for this period in cycling history is inspiring.

The Retrobike site benefits from members like this.

Well done so far Al, and I wait with anticipation to see the finished bike… and for a few gems to be revealed. :cool:

Pip.

Fascinating article, full of intrigue and suspense. Better than any tv proprame :) Looking forward to more of the pics you have un-earthed :cool:

Mark

Ah you guys are too kind :oops: Have another shot of Roland as a thank you :LOL:

Nriijt.jpg

Note this is definitely the 1997 Hei Hei and not the 1996 version we see in the catalogue and previous pictures. It's also one of the few pictures that shows the rear triangle and the drop-outs - the tell-tell at a glance sign this wasn't steel! So, they were running this livery across the model range year which is different - as we know - to the calendar year. I like to think it made such an impression they stuck with it ;-) Compared to the other teams - and they are also very colourful - it really is striking.

It's cool that my build will have some elements of what he has, but with quite a few variances that still compliment the era, are more practical and performance enhancing. For example, he's got a black ControlTech seat-post, I've got a black Syncros. He's running the usual Tahoma Somme stem that I have on all my bikes, I've gone for a black ControlTech and so on. You can't see the saddle but in one of the other shots I have, it's definitely a yellow filte but a version I've not seen before. Oh and I really like his shoes - they are super cool.

I had a bit of a LOL moment last night taking another look at the kit to fit this weekend. I realised I haven't got any shifters...maybe I'll run single-speed... ;)

Re:

Loving the old photos. It's great to see some documented history to put a bike's heritage in context – the bike, the bits, the kit, the team... Great work, lovely build!

Re:

Hands up who didn't have enough inner tubes! :LOL: :facepalm:

I'll let the pictures do the talking. Needless to say I'm extremely happy with how this is coming together.

mKcQyt.jpg

1imDyb.jpg

8jTwvr.jpg

8xPnaX.jpg

VOl1Jq.jpg

T5Aor8.jpg

oPumWo.jpg

PHn0yp.jpg

Just a note on the cassette. I was very skeptical about much 'better' the XTR M950 ti version would be to the bullet proof XT M739 I run on all of my other bikes. Now, I haven't used it in anger yet but good lord, the weight difference and the quality of the cogs is next level cool. Which, in my opinion, sums up this bike!

:cool: wow al, thats coming together very nicely :D

did you gave the frame a bit of TLC ? It looks very shiny :)

Back