Kona Explosif 1997 team edition

Re: Kona Explosif 1997 team edition: epic bike, epic trails P21

great story about your trip to Kitzbühel, and chapeau that you keep the pace with the guys on their modern 29ers. Hope you enjoyed your time in Austria and maybe if you come more east we could meet in person one time :D

magas":2yh9nm9p said:
great story about your trip to Kitzbühel, and chapeau that you keep the pace with the guys on their modern 29ers. Hope you enjoyed your time in Austria and maybe if you come more east we could meet in person one time :D

Defo, in fact I should be in Vienna in December...watch this space.

pipmeister":2yh9nm9p said:
You told me at the time that the (somewhat expensive) case was an investment for the future, and you are definitely true to your word, but it makes my toes curl when I think of what could go wrong with taking such an iconic bike on holiday.

Cheers Pip. If you think that's bad, you might want to sit down when you see this...

ebLv30.jpg

2fUiAh.jpg

My instagram caption to these was "I'm fine, no really I'm fine" :LOL:

al-onestare":2j52vdz7 said:
Cheers Pip. If you think that's bad, you might want to sit down when you see this...

:shock: :shock: :facepalm: - OH NO! For F###'# Sake! - :facepalm: :shock: :shock:

Now sitting down!

Pip.

al-onestare":3jl3xzyh said:
magas":3jl3xzyh said:

Defo, in fact I should be in Vienna in December...watch this space.

Vienna is enough east for me - let me know when you are there.

I'm sure the Explosif enjoyed the fresh breeze and the view outside of the gondola ;)

I was going to write a load of waffle about my riding experiences but looking at these pictures, I think it's pretty clear what they were: pain and pleasure! Immense pleasure!

It really sparked me into riding more. I had so much fun - it's why we do this.

The one thing I will say is this. This is no garage queen - clearly :LOL: It came to me worn, it'll stay worn and it'll be used for what it was intended for - to be ridden, and ridden hard*

KzHWky.jpg

gBE4A2.jpg

rVIIW8.jpg

AYPZ8A.jpg

LOlErQ.jpg

Of5aDH.jpg

bKe3IJ.jpg

EMFQb1.jpg

EIKOCz.jpg
(the highest I've ever been on a bike and ever cycled all the way up - just over 2000m, 1400m'ish of climbing)

ipSV62.jpg

jGGd2n.jpg
(and this is why I had 2 punctures in succession: 20 year old rubber + 25 degree heat + 30-40mph decent over 30 mins long)

etuWrn.jpg

VQPRCj.jpg

Jf5Q7p.jpg
(this section was mental but so much fun, going back and trying different lines until I could get down piece by piece)

DiSgpY.jpg

aOm41M.jpg

zGXqHV.jpg

ceMS8x.jpg

T8CRA3.jpg

h9clFT.jpg

tHZW9P.jpg

cbp7Kf.jpg

F9TvRM.jpg
(after run 2)

u0fWPb.jpg
(let's go back up!)

PCX6aJ.jpg

7XuV5K.jpg
(after run 3 - survived :) )

*as hard as I can ride it at least!

And just a little addition, to do something more sedate, I jumped off one of those mountains. But that's another story ;-)

:cool: nice pics, though you cant really go wrong with a backdrop like that :)

I just noticed looking at these pics how low down the tube the kona decal is. Are they all like this or is it just because of the custom paint? is it even a decal come to mention it or is it paint too? :)

And what do you mean jumped off the mountain? BASE or paraglider? Intrigued now :LOL:

Mark

mkone":3qn2w2dj said:
I just noticed looking at these pics how low down the tube the kona decal is. Are they all like this or is it just because of the custom paint? is it even a decal come to mention it or is it paint too? :)

So my theory on this is that due to the late production of these frames, right into knee deep 1998 territory, that the painters were Enigma not Velographics. I don't think they had much time and / or hadn't painted the rasta flames livery before. As a consequence, the attention to the previous design wasn't quite as accurate as it could have been.

Why the change-over? That's a looong story...see the Caldera thread for more :)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=337664

That said, the quality of the paint is top draw. The flames have been properly sprayed, layered and stenciled; there are no decals involved unlike the stars and bars A'ha vs. Hot (and the white oval parts).

Also remember the head-tube decal is a 1998 design, the rest 1997. For example, the 1998 down-tube decals have a wider outline, which I don't like as they lose the definition.

mkone":3qn2w2dj said:
And what do you mean jumped off the mountain? BASE or paraglider? Intrigued now :LOL:

The latter :p

25HETT.jpg

Re:

I do love the smell of 20 year old rubber in the morning ;)

dQS2qE.jpg

(I should add I do have a brand new pair of blackwall XCs for proper riding)

I need to get out of North America more often!

How's the Z2 holding up after the rebuild? Still plush, I hope?

Latest posts

Back