Klein Quantum

ajantom

Retrobike Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I built this up about a year ago, but have only just taken some photos of it whilst out on a ride round Exmoor.

I think it's a '96 Quantum II or a '97 Quantum Race. The serial number ends in 08-96-192, I guess this means August-1996-192nd made? However, looking in the archive the '96 didn't have the separate seat collar and the '97 does.
It's a bit odd in that it doesn't have a model decal on it, and the other decals are under clear lacquer, so maybe it never had one?

Anyway, the frame was bought in about 2000 by my dad from a French triathlete, who said he had built it up but never ridden it.
It then hung in my dad's shed for the next 13 years, whilst I coveted it and bugged him approximately once a year to let me build it up :)
He finally relented last year, and I got my sticky mitts on it!

The build is a bit mixed, I wanted it to be a rider, so it's built with usability in mind - see the large range rear block.
I had a full 9spd Campag Mirage groupset (I much prefer the Campag brifters to the Shimano ones), but I could never get the rear shifting quite spot-on with the Mirage mech. So it's ended up being a Campagmano (Shimagnolo?) build.

- 59cm Klein Quantum (II or Race) frame & forks.
- Campag Mirage shifters, front mech, chainset and BB.
- Shimano Ultegra brake calipers, debadged XT rear mech and 11-36 rear block (in my defence, it's quite hilly round here!)
- Mavic Cosmos wheelset (blue matches the frame nicely) and Hutchinson tyres.
- Thomson seatpost and Flite saddle.
- 3T stem and bars.

Rides very well, very stiff and responsive. Can be a little harsh on bumpy country roads. Accelerates and climbs amazingly well. The internal routing in the top-tube does make a bit of a racket on bumpy roads.
I'm planning on get some clip-on tri bars and trying it out in a local 10 mile TT at some point. Need to get a bit fitter first!

hi,a'tom thanks for for letting us know about the ride,
i just wondered about what you said about the internal cable rattling ? does the outer cable go all the way through ?what is knocking where ?

Re:

My advice (I have a 1998 Quantum) is to get rid of the top tube liner. You don't need it in there. The rattle on mine drove me nuts but now it is as quiet as a church!

Ade

Back