Kirk Revolution 200

How about laying the frame on it's side, drive side down, carefully clamp the drive side cup to a bench vise (assuming you have one to use) and use the whole frame as leverage to crack it loose?

Might be worth a try if you are able to grip the drive side cup securely in the bench vise jaws.

I'd have a similar concerns as @Splatter Paint and go a gently as possible.

Had a further go this evening without success so did a bit of googling and bought this Screenshot_20230328_221612_eBay.jpg

You can clamp it on via the square taper and should give me better leverage. The frame is currently drive side down with WD40 soaking so I'll report back once I get the tool

View attachment 725552
Any ideas how to get this BB out. I usually use my air driven impact wrench on shimano style bb's but this as a 36mm wrench one...I have a hand wrench but it's not budging even after soaking it it oil overnight. If anybody can suggest a suitable attachment for my impact driver that would be great.
clamp it in a bench vice and use the frame as the lever is my approach with these when they're stuck. Otherwise I have a bb wrench designed for these that works well if they aren't seized.

The cup in a vice/lever the frame method is rough. In this instance there is concern the b/b insert is a bonded component within the frame casting plus, through the sheer weight & size of the frame as a lever, you can't feel any sensations of what is happening or the true effort being exerted vs holding the thing up & steady in a horizontal plane by which point the cup has lifted out of the vice. Now you have a chewed cup & a scratch to the frame. JUST DONT.

As for the Kirk's when they were sold, I think they turned to Dawes for help with the marketing & subsequent building into bikes. Dawes really did them no favours quite frankly. The colours were odd even for the 90's & the spec was pretty poor, as mentioned excessively heavy forks & build kit. I had a friend who had one. He was a bit nerdy about getting it lighter but ended up stopped in his tracks when the frame cracked at the rear mech hanger assembly iirc, he ended up with a Dawes Edge as a warranty replacement. When I rode his Kirk bitd I was always impressed with it's rigidity & responsiveness. That had the 400LX group & fuschia forks & decals on Black.

Thanks for the warning. Once I get the new tool I will give it a go but I will always have an eye on not putting too much force into it. With my profession I like to think I have a feel for manual forces as too much and my patient ends up with a broken jaw😱

Back