Sold KHS Ti Lite Titanium Mountain Bike with Full Shimano XTR

Now he wants £750 and that is going to likely cost someone over £800 for it or he takes it to auction he has to do a full weeks graft and has to hit close to a grand to get that sort of money which he likely isn't seeing for weeks/months.

Another thing you have to factor is how often retro parts are broken or seized. I know me personally I am not paying top book unless I know everything single component is immaculate and there is nothing seized or broken and any retro bike collector with experience should be at least along the same train of thought.

Its gone from too cheap to a price to where you're likely going to struggle and you can't blame the seller but does anyone want to or feel comfortable buying a bike that has just almost doubled in price?

My whole point is its easy to say something is worth X amount when not parting with any money or realising the absolute ballache it requires to get close to that sort of money.

And one more thing that hopefully educates somebody is just because you see something sell for X amount doesn't mean you will get close to that. I seen a second hand XTR M9000 crank sell for £235 & postage, it took me 2 months or so to finally get £170 posted for one brand new in the box.

A Ti frame in that condition with full XTR in similar condition plus various desirable extras is worth £750 all day long, it's only been up on this site for a couple of days, and as great as this site is it serves a fairly small community, many of whom are literally out on their bikes or busy with family at the weekend.

As stated above something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but you have to give it a chance to be seen by enough people before you can sensibly judge whether the asking price is too high.

I do sympathise with Danbe though, one minute you're on the cusp of a literal once in a lifetime bargain and the next people are chiming in to alert the seller that they are about to sell themselves short, but there was no malintent from any party as far as I can see, quite the opposite, it was because nobody with a heart likes to see anyone taken advantage of, and although Danbe or anyone else is perfectly within their rights to step up and offer the full asking price for an item, even when that asking price is incredibly low, so too should anyone with a conscience be free to interject to let the seller know that their valuation may be insanely low.

It might have been that the seller just wanted the bike gone and cared not for how much they got for it, or that they paid a low price for it and were concerned only with getting their money back, in which case the seller would have said something like 'Thanks guys but I'm happy to sell for £XXX', however it's clear that this is a case of somebody not realizing what they have, and I for one am proud of those who exercised the online equivalent of their civic duty and helped to avert a costly mistake, just as I feel some sympathy for Danbe who for a while must have felt like he'd hit the jackpot, and in no way do I blame him for offering to meet the initial asking price, if I'd been online soon enough then I too may have been tempted as would plenty of others.

The seller should take some responsibility here, for not doing their research, and it should be noted that they too had the option to honour the original deal that they themselves tabled. Having said that £750 in my humble opinion is still a very good price, it could and probably should be on ebay for around a grand and would certainly sell eventually.

Last edited:
Its cool you win some you lose some and I appreciate your understanding and I am thankful as I don't even mean to sound so sour and come across like a kid throwing its toys out of the pram about it its not as-if I've lost anything more wanted to highlight things we don't take into consideration which we should when buying or selling anything.

Its not like I have been after one for years it was just an irresistible bargain I could have used to replace my slightly too big Lynskey with rather than having to source a new frame.

And in the sellers defense and I know there is a whole section devoted to it but me personally I don't really understand why you aren't allowed to ask for offers and such or an items value in the ad

Back