job

I've just put in for VR with the added benefit that its not for 18months, and one of my options is going working for myself more for a change in direction than anything else, so I'll be looking for info regarding sole trading.

My experience of working from home, which I did for 18 months, was working 12 hour days in order to get the work done, and rarely getting dressed before tea time. :facepalm:

On the plus side, it removed the need for an hour and a half commute each end of the day, I was home when the kids got home from school, and as I was always finished by 6.00pm I had the whole evening with the family.

School holidays could be a slight issue, as my wife's a teacher who cannot grasp the idea of 'working' and being at home, and who has been known to try and vacuum my office while I am on a client or conference call.

As for riding during the day, I have a cautionary tale of a colleague who was hospitalised by being hit in the head by a golf ball while sneaking in a cheeky 9 hole 'break'. Had he been playing with clients / prospective clients he may have got away with it, but buddies from the golf club don't count.

I work as a technologist, so i have to make sure our products (a huge diverse range of them) are in line with all the laws,European directives and above all safe. We also deal with worldwide customers, so these rules/laws differ which brings pains and extra work along with them.
basically I'm answerable to anything that goes wrong with these products. I deal with anything up to 200different products, and that's increasing. I'm also in communication with around 10-20 people in my company throughout my working day. Its getting more overwhelming as each day passes without a chance to catch up. And this is my quiet period.

i get very little job satisfaction or reward. But the moment im late once or twice, i get pulled to one side about it, despite my reasons.
i cant leave this job till i have one securely lined up to go in to. I'm just not liking my work environment anymore. I may have a way to work more independently but its a long shot.

I've been working from home for 8 years now, and I can't imagine working any other way. I love the peace and quiet, especially now my youngest daughter has started school.

I always put on a shirt, and do the school run - when I return it's like I've got to work...

I've got a dedicated office in the house, with only work things (and bikes) in it, and use a stair gate to stop the kids coming upstairs when they come back from school.

So long as your busy, and you get to go out to meetings a couple of times a week I'd have thought you'd be fine.

That sounds completely shit mate. It certainly sounds like you are being unfairly treated. Go to the doctors and say you can't sleep, then burst into tears, and while you are blubbing tell them how shit your work is and you'll get two weeks off for stress* See how they deal with you after that.

*This may well not work but it may well have worked for someone I know

twain":27xgyj80 said:
I work as a technologist, so i have to make sure our products (a huge diverse range of them) are in line with all the laws,European directives and above all safe. We also deal with worldwide customers, so these rules/laws differ which brings pains and extra work along with them.
basically I'm answerable to anything that goes wrong with these products. I deal with anything up to 200different products, and that's increasing. I'm also in communication with around 10-20 people in my company throughout my working day. Its getting more overwhelming as each day passes without a chance to catch up. And this is my quiet period.

i get very little job satisfaction or reward. But the moment im late once or twice, i get pulled to one side about it, despite my reasons.
i cant leave this job till i have one securely lined up to go in to. I'm just not liking my work environment anymore. I may have a way to work more independently but its a long shot.

Struth, my other half doesn't have half your responsibility at work and he's in the salary band your talking about. he's bored a lot of the time and that's after taking on some of the responsibilities of redundant employee's, except when his co-workers off then he's working like a madman :roll: I think your being under appreciated there mate :)

Alison

twain":iuno38ym said:

I get the impression you're feeling swamped with workload and responsibility and that's your main cause of discontent. Two suggestions: a) Avoid heaping responsibilities / worries onto yourself. For example you are not "answerable to anything that goes wrong" with your company's products. Your comany is answerable. You do your best to represent your company's interests but within reasonable limits. b) Share all of the concerns you have written in this thread with your boss. Let your company's management know that you appreciate your job etc but are having some concerns and you seek a win-win way of feeling more comfortable in your job. The outcome of doing this is almost certainly going to be positive for all people concerned. Start there first before throwing in the towel. Good luck..

It sounds like you have a really heavy workload, and are under-appreciated. However, on the plus side, from what you say you are vital to the business, and that can be good for you.
Having been a manager of a small team for a few years now, I can say that sometimes those in managerial positions will not fully understand the workload you cover and its importance, your flexibility at key times etc. I realise this might be giving your management too much credit!
However, I do always appreciate people voicing their concerns (certainly rather than leaving!), but this has to be in a measured, evidenced way and at a good time i.e. ask to book in a meeting in a quiet place etc, giving some time (a week?) to prepare, and let them know loosely that you'd like to discuss workload and support.
If you can go in with a calm approach, saying how challenging the job is (and maybe you enjoy that and aren't bored), what your responsibilites have become, how this will continue etc, and what hours you are working. An effective conversation will begin with you airing your issues, and how they affect your work / home life, saying how you want to ensure the company is doing OK, but might need some support. If you have potential solutions (interns, apprentices etc), even better.
I hope you don't mind the long reply, and I'm sure you might have tried some of these things...
Best of luck, Mat

I hadn't seen RadNomad's response as I was typing mine - some common ground there, I think.

Back