It's the spare parts winter build thread

Re: Re:

clubby":1q3eflcn said:
Col, that's some spares stack!
How's the Trimble coming along?
I've not been at this that long so not managed to amass too much tat, so what I have got is fairly decent :D .
The Trimble is all done and got soundly beaten in the latest BoTM competition :LOL: .You can click on the coloured names in my signature for a link to all my build threads. But here's a pic for those that haven't seen it.

Attachments

• First Ride 3.jpg
    First Ride 3.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 478
OK need to get pics up but my proposed plan using much scruffier kit than Col includes:-
Apollo Triple Triangle Frame (is it a Zaskar ?) in rattle can greeny blue metalic, Ballistic 450A shiney chrome effect sus forks with 1" threaded steerer. Alloy riser bars in need of polish, shiney chrome four finger levers, modern cartridge pad cantibrakes(sorry but they work very well), Michelin Wild Gripper tyres with Skinwall and Green tread in good condition. Other parts to be decided.
Build will happen a couple of hours once a week when I get permission from the girlfriend to visit the man cave, it'll be a slow build.

and 4 hours of raking and building later

i will need to buy a seat clamp as i don't have one that fits :LOL:

It is indeed, it was just a wee bit too small for me but Big Eck, surprisingly, is shorter than me so its better suited to him and is looking good so far.

Re:

yeah it's a big comfy beast Aaron , it served me well with the kids seat attached for long enough i had to keep it and build it as a rider one day

Re:

Cut up the original (bent) forks of the Chopper to save the Thimbles (metal trim caps that go in the sides of the forks).
When i tried to remove these on the new straight forks with a chissel i mashed them to bits :roll: so got the Thimbles out the old forks by cutting them and knocking the Thimbles out from the rear.

c4Rxamwl.jpg

Check out how thick the steel is on those forks :shock: , no wonder the bike weighs 40lb, apparently the re-issue and (crappy) new Choppers are alloy framed and a lot lighter. Kids were tougher in the 70's :LOL:

S5UvpTpl.jpg

You can see the bent steerer tube in this pic which prompted the rebuild, i've found this to be common on original Choppers as it's a very heavy bike, once bashed into a wall or kerb the steerer is usually bent :cry:

Czzmg9Ml.jpg

Spotted a fully refurbished frame for sale on E-bay a while ago, stripped, resprayed, re-stickered etc BIN £200, clearly had bent forks :facepalm:

Re:

Got the bike finished off today, slow burners aren't really my thing :LOL: . I haven't taken it out for a test run yet but a quick ride along the hallway went well. Have managed to keep this nearly completely retro with a mix of DX and XT components that I had from other builds, only thing I had to buy was some cable donuts (will get a full spec sheet up and some ride pic's soon). Final weight comes out as 25.15lb

Attachments

• C16R Parts Bin Special 3.jpg
    C16R Parts Bin Special 3.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 373
  • C16R Parts Bin Special 2.jpg
    C16R Parts Bin Special 2.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 373
  • C16R Parts Bin Special 1.jpg
    C16R Parts Bin Special 1.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 373
Back