Isn't it time to update the cut-off date for 'retro'?

I used to help run and be involved in the classic car scene which seems to cope very well with quite a few more than only two classes of period cars. I think the picture below helps demonstrate how the 1998+ group may look a little silly to new younger members who take a look at the site. I understand this is only my humble opinion, but I own 4 classic retros (well they are according to my local bike shop and friends), a 1998, 2x 1999 and a 2000, but I don't feel right putting them in a group with new bikes. I feel the newer bikes should have a section of their own. Sorry. :oops:

Attachments

• 1998+ bikes section.jpg
    1998+ bikes section.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 318
I think the problem is people want to define a category by particular advancements rather than plain old age. And there is no perfect definition of the point at which an advancement was in its element.

The problem was people where suppose to post none 'retro, vintage..' bike in the Off Topic section.
They never did, as Off Topic was filled with other gumf.
So people posted the newer bike in the Bikes section. people got annoyed at 'modern stuff being posted.
At the time late 90's and turn of the 00's where not all too common around here.
For most people here at the time is seemed to be 89 to 95 that crops up mostly, and the later dates where starting to creep in, mainly Kona I always thought.
So pick a random-ish date based around this and you can cut out the problem and these circa 2000 bikes have somewhere to post.
Still some people wanted to post their new bikes as they where pretty much a retrobiker and don't like the other places.
This split mainly helped the for sale section clean itself up.

But this site is about RetroBikes, if you ignore the new bikes being posted they'll just drop of the end. If you start posting and talking about 98 to 2003ish bikes in there and bring yer mates then it would bloom. You can tell the new bikes to bugger off to Off-Topic again.

It would have been easier at 1996+ when M950 XTR came out, splined bb's, 4 arms, dark grey anti shiny silver, V's, along with RockShox JUDY where released, a marked change for the leading suspension company at the time. But hey ho, it doesn't really matter.

Back