Is there a seat post chemical removal thread on here?

2:1 sounds bit strong.
Don't buy poundland caustic, the stuff I tried from there was useless.
Try it mixed so the water doesn't go above say 60C, 70C is consider to hot to
hold. If you look at past threads I did say at what strength it boiled when I used it,
strength was purely based on how hot the stuff got; I wrote the post while I was doing
it and I always did this by feel, but when I posted it I measured the temps.

When it's working the ali will get hot, you can feel the heat if you touch the seat tube.
If the mix is to strong it gets to hot and boils the mix off, it will gush out of the openings
in the tube and no doubt find you favorite bit of anodising to land on.

The frame is beyond a care as far as paint etc goes anyway. Will do it upside down with everything taped up and frequent mixture changes. Outside, over a bucket. 220mm of tube inside the frame. Deep joy. End is flush.

The History Man":se0odc9h said:
220mm of tube inside the frame. Deep joy. End is flush.

I have the same HM, in a Roberts Roughstuff frame :facepalm:
Will be interested to hear how you get on as I'm considering caustic.
Good luck (I hope you've ordered goggles and gloves too!)

I used the method of heating the seatpost with a propane torch then rapidly cooling in a bucket of water. It took about 5-6 cycles of hot then cold before the seatpost broke loose but eventually it came out.

Well. That was epic. Most rewarding. To see the frame bucking and rocking on the stand as plumes of steam billowed from the bb while the post hissed and screamed in desperation. Two hours and it was over. Two hundred and twenty millimetres of post vanished into the ether. Alchemy. I mixed my potion as strong as I dared. So strong that I could barely hold the water bottle I used to dispense each dose into the neck of the seat tube at the bottom bracket. The heat generated in the bottle was of little consequence when compared to wrath of Hades Suffered by the painted frame.

The final death throws of my nemesis consisted of a fizzing, bubbling sliver of silver. Rather reminiscent of the terminator 2 denouement.

The foe is vanquished!
c3abab6676ced536c2cbca25b0c052dd_zps2ojrlhnm.jpg

Sadly I have no pics of the process as I was gloved and goggled and glad that I was!

Back