Integrated shifters or downtube shifters.

I have modern STIs, old STIs, friction downtube levers and a fixie. The fixie is the most fun to ride, followed by the downtube levers, followed by the old STIs, followed by the modern STIs. Although the fixie is just scary sometimes.

I find having to plan ahead with friction downtube levers improves my speed uphill, and usually makes short climbs much faster - why wobble around changing gear when you can just stand up for a few moments. They work reliably in all weather, even after a few dirty rides. Going downhill or sprinting doesn't always inspire confidence though - I attack descents less as I don't always use such high gears. Things can get hairy if something unexpected happens, but this is part of the fun. There is a great feeling of being at one with the bike and the surroundings.
For long rides and descents the old STIs are the best - comfy old frame with a bit of convenience for sudden changes in terrain, and its handy to be able to shift while out of the saddle. The old-style riding position is good too - they sit in the same place as a brake lever. Occasionally they inexplicably won't shift though, usually when you need it the most. Still a little pre-planning required for careful gear selection, and ratios are limited to good old massive ones - my 105 won't take easier than a 25t (at a push). Depending on the model, they can look beautiful or like a rejected prototype.
The new STIs just work - every shift just happens without thought or protest (in good weather), and riding can be quick and reactive. They are delicate and easily prone to not working in anything below optimum conditions, but when they are clean they just work, instantly, although they encourage lazy gear selection, and over shifting. I have managed to train myself not to when I'm still fresh, but towards the end of a ride, its extremely tempting to pootle uphill in 36x27 even when you don't necessarily have to - I go faster uphill on the old bikes because the gears won't let me go slowly. They feel a little dead - no characterful mis-shifts or weird quirks to get used to. Annoyingly, my modern bike with modern groupset is way too upright - my three old frames let me flatten my back at all times, whereas the modern frame has "endurance" geometry which makes me a little upright even in the hooks (having already swapped out the stem for a longer one and fitted very deep drop 26mm bars), so any gains from the stiffness and lightness of the bike are lost by my large frontal area.

I vote old STI - still fun, but safe and suitable for everyday riding, and great with old shape handlebars.

Re:

Memories! I've got an old set of 8-speed 105 STI's and remember that the shifting was very refined with the occasional hiccup when the lever would not play, usually when stuck on the big ring! That is despite flushing through with GT85 and re greasing. I think they were more refined feeling, and better shaped, than the 105 5600 10 speed levers on my alloy Ribble ( a relatively modern bike with a horizontal top -tube :D ). Back to the 105 8 speed STI levers they are really heavy and do make the front of the bike feel less lively. My thoughts are that if a frame will accept DT levers they are still a viable option.

Re:

I was a big fan of the indexed DT shifters when they came out - best of both worlds :D They stopped the problem of friction shifters slipping under high tension when they'd worked a little loose. The Shimano variety worked well, until the ratchet broke anway!

D8C80143-978C-4389-9319-4BBCF1E429E0.jpeg

Back